PRRRFECTION - a sailing circumnavigation.

living the perfect life ...

07 January 2013 | Vuda Marina
05 September 2011 | Galapagos
03 March 2011
09 September 2010 | Fiji Islands
21 July 2010 | South Africa
14 July 2010 | South Pacific
05 May 2010 | fiji islands
21 April 2010
16 April 2010 | Fiji Islands
29 March 2010 | south pacific
18 March 2010 | New Zealand
02 October 2009 | Fiji
01 September 2008 | Fiji
17 July 2008 | Fiji
02 June 2008 | Fiji
08 December 2007 | Fiji
05 November 2007 | Samoa
05 October 2007 | 13deg 28W, 173deg 28S

Galapagos, san Cristobal

29 April 2005
Ronel
Galapagos Islands
san Cristobal

Well, we are here! Safely anchored in a new place, full of new sights,smells and adventure! Our landfall to the islands sure was exciting enough! And our trip coming here, initially from Panama but then we had to divert to Ecuador due to mechanical problems, well, I always say it is like childbirth...fortunately, one forgets the bad very quickly...the bashing; the head winds; the rain;...the endless days making slow,slow progress; getting snagged in the fishing lines off the Ecuadorian coast......did that happen to us?

Daybreak yesterday was in beautiful pinks and blues and as it got lighter and lighter we saw the islands ! We were about 30 miles off, perfect timing and I was glad that we decided to motor during the night in order not to loose ground during the night, we have had only light winds the last few days and did not want to approach the islands or anchorage during the night. Dolphins joined us, frolicking in the swells off our bows....always such a pleasure seeing them.

In anticipation, we started to get the boat in order, packed everything away and at lunch time, as we reached the shallower water, the rod went off...with a loud "ziiiing"!! Whatever took line, took it with such a force that by the time Claude grabbed the rod, we only had a few meters left on the rod! I manouvered the boat and started to motor back while Claude and Mariska hung on to the rod with all their strength! We did not want to loose the rod or the line or our new purple Repalla!

At the end of the line was a Manta Ray. Huge, with a wingspan of about 3 meters and heavy! We think the Manta floated just under the surface of the water and it got hooked on the Repalla as we sailed past. This was going to take hours! and it did. We reeled in, it took off, we lost all the line again, we reeled in, lost it...at last we had the Manta close to the boat and then started to worry about how to get the Repalla loose. The Ray was way too big to even try and get it onto the boat and although tired, it was still alive. And then nature took it's course. The line touched the stanchion and with a loud crack the line snapped and off the Ray went..into the deep water. We lost the Repalla off course, but at least not the rod and line, ....and the Ray did not die!!!

The approach to the anchorage at San Cristobal was easy. Huge swells and breakers had us gawking and Claude was in his element when he saw beautiful "lefts"! El Canon is a famous surf spot and we have seen photos of the break when the swells are running and it is awesome. As soon as we had anchored, the local yellow water taxis started to approach and "inform" us. One had diesel and water to offer, the other a guided tour to the volcanoes, the other does laundry...on and on and on, always very friendly and very entrepreneurial!

And then we saw them! Sea lions. They were everywhere and on everything! Lying on dinghys, sprawled on the back steps of boats.....I guess you know what's coming? We decided there and then, not to lower our cute little dinghy into the water...one of those fat sea lions will just squash our little dinghy, and we could use the water taxis to get to the shore in the morning anyway.

I hung towels over the stanchions and lifelines at the back steps in case a sea lion should decide to "board" us...I thought that this would be a deterrent. We also tied "Amigo" in the cockpit and we were looking forward to a looong, restful sleep and with him running forward and back across the deck, his nails making scraping noises, it would not be possible.

I woke up this morning, it was still dark, with the sound of grunts and groans around the boat. I got up and saw "Amigo" staring absolutely stupefied at the back of the boat....and there they were! Two sea lions on our back steps, staring friendly and inquisitively at our hairy pooch, blinking their black eyes, twitching their noses. "Mitzi", our cat, was perched on the surf boards, her back arched round, ears flat, staring back at them....and so was I. Ok, not on the surf boards, the staring part I mean! I was at a loss as to what to do. Scared, absolutely amazed, astounded...all of those and I could not believe it! I grabbed the video camera. I thought that I just have to shoot it, capture the moment to believe it! A sea lion looked at me, very "friendly", I hope.....and proceeded to come up! First the one fin, then smoothly the big shiny glossy body. I grabbed the broom, not really wanting to appear unfriendly, but definately not wanting a sea lion traipsing all over our boat! I guess it was stale mate. He stared at me, sniffed at the broom. He was not retreating, but at least not moving forward. "Amigo" stood frozen ( he could not even bark) and the cat was in no better condition! It was hilarious.

I went down and woke the girls and just told them to come and see! Rochelle stood and stared, still sleeping...until the brain told the eyes what she was seeing. Her eyes widened, there was a visible start through her body...and I just had to suppress the nervous, hysterical laughter that was threatening!

The sea lion's appetite broke the spell, he slid off into the water, I guess to catch his breakfast....but only to be back a few minutes later!

"Amigo" has been sitting at the top of the back step like Noah's wife, for the last hour. Frozen, not moving...staring at the back steps, waiting for "them" to come onboard..which they do all the time! Me? Well, I am at least not staring at the back step all the time, I am staring at the computer screen, typing this letter, but (just so you don't think I am a "woozie") keeping an ever watchful eye on the back steps. I do not know how we will be able to leave the boat...we might come back and find a whole big colony all over "Prrr"! They are cute with their whiskers and big eyes and little ears...well, the smallish ones that we have seen on our back steps. The biiiiigggg ones....well, I just don't know if we will find them very cute and adorable on our boat... I think the friendly relationship will turn very quickly hostile! And Claude is still in dreamland amongst all this excitement!

Lots to see and to do still, we have to clear-in and see if they have internet here. We can go to one of the volcanoes. The volcanoes are
relatively active on these islands, the last eruption was recorded in 1988! Lots of beaches where we will see marine iguanas and turtles and, of course, Claude wants to surf! There is snorkeling to do, lots of fish around here. We could go to la Loberia, the sea lion colony( if we want to see even more sea lions). There is the old village, el Progreso, where the Norwegians used to live when they tried to start the fishing and canning industry.

So, let the day begin...and we will update you later!
Comments
Vessel Name: Prrrfection
Vessel Make/Model: Wildcat 35
Hailing Port: DURBAN, South Africa
Crew: Ronelle, Claude, Mariska & Rochelle
About: Mom Ronelle, Partner Claude and teenagers- Mariska and Rochelle started circumnavigating 2001
Extra:
After the untimely death of father Deon van Rooyen in 2001, mom Ronelle continued to circumnavigate with her children - Riaan, Mariska and Rochelle. Claude has been her partner for many years, sharing her love of the sea, adventure, new places... The voyage is a sloooowwww one.....each [...]
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/prrrfection/?xjMsgID=3715
Prrrfection's Photos - PRRRFECTION - a sailing circumnavigation. (Main)
Photos 1 to 91 of 91
1
grilling fish on the coals
look at our cute dinghy in the background
crystal clear fiji waters...
our panasonic lumix camera with underwater housing
 such a nice picture moment... i could not resist it
rochelle getting it up at Natadola beach
my angels in an  underwater paradise
a germinating coconut
this is Fiji
having communal dinners on the lawns at Vuda
this was just after our Tsunami scare
my family - 2010
waiting at nadi airport for riaan
dearest Riaan during his visit
one of the advantages to living half ashore - is growing flowers and veggies again
the bay is as nice as the beach
we are Not in a swimming pool!
the surfing dudes! (the ho-dads)hahahahah
peace
picnic on the beach
rivers to explore
this sandy spit is exposed at low tide
the girls in their school uniforms..
beaches for picnics...
beautiful  under water scenes
this is fiji
mariska and rochelle painting the mural at the marina
beautiful above the water
beautiful under the water
stripes logos graphics on a boat - that is our job
mariska enjoying the water
underwater fiji
we could not stop taking photos
fish and the mermaid...
a  favourite secluded spot
the other mermaid..
rochelle in her own world
claude getting all arty again
swimming amongst the fish
this is in the sea - it is not in an aquarium - i promise!
musket cove - a view from the top
my job - logos and names and designs....
the entrance to Vuda Marina...and Amigo in the foreground
beaches...palm trees....
making signs...
reflection on prrrfection...
at anchor ...with one of the many spectacular sunsets....
my favourite colours are here as well
the marina
claude with the horses on the beach
horse riding on the beach
Jope and Nunya
Jope and best man - look at the beautiful Masa cloth
Claude taking Amigo for a paddle
having a horse also makes living in Fiji a brighter place...
home at night
friends and fun and laughter
having kava
hindu wedding
friends = fun!!
underground oven - lovo
fishing
food from heaven - palm heart - grilled fish...(not the coke)
frangipani fragrance
Vuda
lovo feast
El Piso - the boat that we use to map/chart anchorages whilst writing the new Fiji cruising guide
Friends, Fun , Food, Fiji.....
dressing up a-la-indian-style
claude at work
cycling
claude and the girls - and it is NOT a swimming pool!
Claude and i at a resort
a sure way not to get lost in the dark....
amigo passed out....
Claude grilling freshly caught fish on the beach
beautiful waters
the cousins having fun during cyclone Mick
a traditional Fijian house - Bure
ronel on bow
rochelle weaving palm leaves
rochelle
rochelle catching ature
rochelle fishing
mariska and rochelle
house boat 2
claude dinghy
claude ronel waterfall
claude animals kayak
backstep splashing
claudes big 51
 
1
Prrr was the first catamaran to be hauled out at Vuda Point Marina's new catamaran ramp.
No Photos
Created 25 May 2017
favourite photos that i brought back due to demand!! thanx
38 Photos
Created 20 April 2010

The Cruising Yacht SiteRing

Previous | List | Random | Join | Next

SiteRing by Bravenet.com