PRRRFECTION - a sailing circumnavigation.

living the perfect life ...

07 January 2013 | Vuda Marina
05 September 2011 | Galapagos
03 March 2011
09 September 2010 | Fiji Islands
21 July 2010 | South Africa
14 July 2010 | South Pacific
05 May 2010 | fiji islands
21 April 2010
16 April 2010 | Fiji Islands
29 March 2010 | south pacific
18 March 2010 | New Zealand
02 October 2009 | Fiji
01 September 2008 | Fiji
17 July 2008 | Fiji
02 June 2008 | Fiji
08 December 2007 | Fiji
05 November 2007 | Samoa
05 October 2007 | 13deg 28W, 173deg 28S

Cyclone Daman

08 December 2007 | Fiji
Ronel
And so we have had a really exciting and different week! It started on Monday when we took the ferry to the town of Lautoka on the other big island of Fiji, Viti Levu where we were going to visit friends in Nadi and afterwards going to Suva, the capital of Fiji.

The ferry ride took nearly 12 hours but it was a smooth trip on a big ship, we had tables, chairs , tv, restaurant on board and we spent the time reading, eating and watching TV. We were met in Lautoka by our friends and spent the next 2 days there, having a wonderful time: Brian is an ex-Natal boy and Michelle a Fijian. She drove us around all day, seeing things....loving it all!

On Wednesday, just as we were all relaxing and cooling down in the pool, Brian arrived with the news that the low pressure system that has been above Fiji for a few days had now turned into a cyclone! Damon was on its way to Fiji!

The bags were packed, again, and the next morning we were on the ferry heading back to Savusavu.... just 3 days later! The sea was calm but the skies were ominous and dark with lots of rain.

On friday morning we started to prepare the boat for the cyclone, continuously getting updates on the track and progress of cyclone Daman; the shops closed early and we kept ourselves very busy - all the shade cloths were removed, the engines of the dinghies were removed and the dinghies flipped over in the water, ductape over everything that could leak or allow water in, sails taken down and what could not be removed had to be securely lashed down; it meant moving the kayaks; the jerry cans - shit, tons of shit on this boat! and in the meantime Daman turned from a cat 2 into a mean cat 4; ag man, we were actually shitting ourselves, but not daring to show it to others: the girls were great; quiet and just did what was asked of them.

Claude went to the spook ship in front of us, the owners are dead or gone or wherever and the boat looks a bit tired, he tied down things on the boat and secured the boat with an extra line to the mooring buoy.... we are right behind this boat and do not want it bumping into us! We took extra water on board, charged the batteries; I cooked an extra special spaghetti bolognaisse and then from 6 pm we sat and waited..... and waited; bearing in mind that although it has been raining non stop, we have had none of the 240Km winds associated with this cyclone, although it looked as if there could have been some wind high above us over the mountains. Actually it was dead calm down here in the creek where we were tied to the hurricane mooring: we have disconnected the computer, no more internet - it drove us crazy hearing about it coming closer and closer and stronger and stronger!

Eventually, at 8pm I send the girls off to bed. Claude and i went to our cabin to read and wait for the winds to come..... only to wake up at 5 this morning. I jumped out of bed, horrified that I slept right through a cyclone - with an open hatch right above my bed! Outside all was calm, clouds yes, but with bright sunlight trying to shine through. I switched on the radio, connected to the internet and realised that nature was very very good to us - the cyclone did not follow the predicted track, heading down over our islands, but instead traveled on a course parallel with us! So, by the time we woke up, Daman was gone and all was over; So happy and so relieved!

Just heard some loud singing and wishes of happy birthday and all that and when we eventually stepped out of the boat to see who is so persistent and loud. We saw our neighbours from the back, returning to their boat, she rowing (always the one who drank the least should drive!) the dinghy, sloshed out of their minds! So happy that cyclone Damon is gone and happy for me on my birthday! And all these excuses to celebrate with a few (quite a few) Fiji Bitters in the yacht club!

You can actually smell the relief in the air, and not just us yachties, the landlubbers are dead afraid of flying missiles on land during a cyclone - there is corrugated roof iron, steel pipes and the worst of all, coconuts! Their houses and roads are flooded and water supplies are dirty, but their houses are standing, roofs are intact and life goes on..... until the next cyclone comes. That is life in Fiji.

So, now today we are just really relaxing: Shelley came down with a terrible toothache, Claude has a sore throat and flu symptoms and I am writing to all of you! Oh yes, Mariska is battling to ice the cake that she baked yesterday amidst all the preparations and stress!

So, this was our exciting week. All's well on board!

Ronel and Claude, Mariska and Rochelle
Comments
Vessel Name: Prrrfection
Vessel Make/Model: Wildcat 35
Hailing Port: DURBAN, South Africa
Crew: Ronelle, Claude, Mariska & Rochelle
About: Mom Ronelle, Partner Claude and teenagers- Mariska and Rochelle started circumnavigating 2001
Extra:
After the untimely death of father Deon van Rooyen in 2001, mom Ronelle continued to circumnavigate with her children - Riaan, Mariska and Rochelle. Claude has been her partner for many years, sharing her love of the sea, adventure, new places... The voyage is a sloooowwww one.....each [...]
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/prrrfection/?xjMsgID=3715
Prrrfection's Photos - PRRRFECTION - a sailing circumnavigation. (Main)
Photos 1 to 91 of 91
1
grilling fish on the coals
look at our cute dinghy in the background
crystal clear fiji waters...
our panasonic lumix camera with underwater housing
 such a nice picture moment... i could not resist it
rochelle getting it up at Natadola beach
my angels in an  underwater paradise
a germinating coconut
this is Fiji
having communal dinners on the lawns at Vuda
this was just after our Tsunami scare
my family - 2010
waiting at nadi airport for riaan
dearest Riaan during his visit
one of the advantages to living half ashore - is growing flowers and veggies again
the bay is as nice as the beach
we are Not in a swimming pool!
the surfing dudes! (the ho-dads)hahahahah
peace
picnic on the beach
rivers to explore
this sandy spit is exposed at low tide
the girls in their school uniforms..
beaches for picnics...
beautiful  under water scenes
this is fiji
mariska and rochelle painting the mural at the marina
beautiful above the water
beautiful under the water
stripes logos graphics on a boat - that is our job
mariska enjoying the water
underwater fiji
we could not stop taking photos
fish and the mermaid...
a  favourite secluded spot
the other mermaid..
rochelle in her own world
claude getting all arty again
swimming amongst the fish
this is in the sea - it is not in an aquarium - i promise!
musket cove - a view from the top
my job - logos and names and designs....
the entrance to Vuda Marina...and Amigo in the foreground
beaches...palm trees....
making signs...
reflection on prrrfection...
at anchor ...with one of the many spectacular sunsets....
my favourite colours are here as well
the marina
claude with the horses on the beach
horse riding on the beach
Jope and Nunya
Jope and best man - look at the beautiful Masa cloth
Claude taking Amigo for a paddle
having a horse also makes living in Fiji a brighter place...
home at night
friends and fun and laughter
having kava
hindu wedding
friends = fun!!
underground oven - lovo
fishing
food from heaven - palm heart - grilled fish...(not the coke)
frangipani fragrance
Vuda
lovo feast
El Piso - the boat that we use to map/chart anchorages whilst writing the new Fiji cruising guide
Friends, Fun , Food, Fiji.....
dressing up a-la-indian-style
claude at work
cycling
claude and the girls - and it is NOT a swimming pool!
Claude and i at a resort
a sure way not to get lost in the dark....
amigo passed out....
Claude grilling freshly caught fish on the beach
beautiful waters
the cousins having fun during cyclone Mick
a traditional Fijian house - Bure
ronel on bow
rochelle weaving palm leaves
rochelle
rochelle catching ature
rochelle fishing
mariska and rochelle
house boat 2
claude dinghy
claude ronel waterfall
claude animals kayak
backstep splashing
claudes big 51
 
1
Prrr was the first catamaran to be hauled out at Vuda Point Marina's new catamaran ramp.
No Photos
Created 25 May 2017
favourite photos that i brought back due to demand!! thanx
38 Photos
Created 20 April 2010

The Cruising Yacht SiteRing

Previous | List | Random | Join | Next

SiteRing by Bravenet.com