Living the Cruising Life...

'A Sailor's Joys Are as Simple as a Child's' - Bernard Moitessier

20 December 2007
20 December 2007
20 December 2007 | Wrightsville Beach, NC
30 November 2007
18 November 2007
24 October 2007 | Wilmington, North Carolina, USA
03 June 2007 | Charlie and Joyce Beede's in Salt Pond
11 May 2007
11 May 2007 | Eva's Cay, Long Island, Bahamas
24 April 2007 | Long Island, Bahamas
10 March 2007 | Emerald Bay, Great Exuma, Bahamas
29 January 2007 | Elbow Cay
22 January 2007 | Black Sound Harbor
22 January 2007 | Green Turtle
12 January 2007
11 January 2007 | Indian Harbor Beach, FL; Anchored on the Banana River

Greetings from Green Turtle Cay, Bahamas

22 January 2007 | Black Sound Harbor
Jeannette; Clear Starry Skies, 1st quarter moon phase
Hi Everybody! We are anchored in Black Sound Harbor on Green Turtle Cay (pronounced KEY). Green Turtle is part of the Northern Abacos. It's a lovely place, quite upscale in parts, down to earth in others. We walked about 8 miles today exploring the island. The beaches and bays are just beautiful, filled with coral reefs, clear water and pinkish white coral sand. We had a picnic on the beach today and Brian climbed a coconut palm and got us a couple of nuts. We saw some friends in the harbor from North Carolina and had a tasty dinner of Mahi-Mahi, pigeon peas and rice aboard our friend, Brad Gunn's catamaran. The crossing from West Palm, FL was nice, it took a full night and day of motorsailing, hey, we're not the fastest ship on the seven seas. We spent our first night in the Bahamas at Great Sale Cay, uninhabited not much there, we walked Charlie on the beach and Brian dove the northern reef. Then we went to Allens-Pensacola Cay, also uninhabited, we walked some really cool woodsy trails there to the beautiful beach where we ran with Charlie and took lots of photos. We fished out on the sand flats for bonesfish and caught a small nurse shark. We went to land and tracked a wild pig to a cool secret cove where there was an abandoned conch pen in the shallows made from rough cut trees. Then we took Puff to the South end of the island and checked out this hurricane hole up in the mangroves. Next was Spanish Cay (inhabited) where we cleared customs and fueled up, they were very nice. I had baked brownies and put a cold coke-cola in the fridge for the customs officer, but she was very efficient and just did her business and took off quickly. Next we went to Munjack Cay (mostly uninhabited), which is sooooo awesome. The island is threaded with trails that wind through trees and vines and flowers, birds singing and lizards scurrying into the brush, it was so neat. The beach was fabulous, completely deserted, I was inspired to go for a run and then worked out right there on the sand-sit ups, push ups, stretches and some yoga. Charlie and I went swimming in the bay where Puff was anchored and a huge stingray with at least a three foot wingspan came to check us out, his eyes looked human as he passed by us. I had fun picking up starfish and showing them to Charlie. He really wasn't very interested in them though, the ray was far more intriguing. After some lovely lobster and snapper meals, thanks to my personal seahunter, we headed here to Green Turtle Cay. I had my 32nd birthday yesterday and it was awesome, every year it seems like the birthdays and the years just get better. I love my husband, he makes everything so perfect! It's past my bedtime, so I'll talk to y'all later. Thanks for listening.
Comments
Vessel Name: Puff
Vessel Make/Model: Bayfield 32C
Hailing Port: North Carolina
Crew: Brian Pucella DOB: 11/12/77 & Jeannette Dougherty DOB: 01/21/75
About: CharlieDawg JackCat

Brian and Jeannette aboard s/v Puff

Who: Brian Pucella DOB: 11/12/77 & Jeannette Dougherty DOB: 01/21/75
Port: North Carolina