Living the Cruising Life...

'A Sailor's Joys Are as Simple as a Child's' - Bernard Moitessier

20 December 2007
20 December 2007
20 December 2007 | Wrightsville Beach, NC
30 November 2007
18 November 2007
24 October 2007 | Wilmington, North Carolina, USA
03 June 2007 | Charlie and Joyce Beede's in Salt Pond
11 May 2007
11 May 2007 | Eva's Cay, Long Island, Bahamas
24 April 2007 | Long Island, Bahamas
10 March 2007 | Emerald Bay, Great Exuma, Bahamas
29 January 2007 | Elbow Cay
22 January 2007 | Black Sound Harbor
22 January 2007 | Green Turtle
12 January 2007
11 January 2007 | Indian Harbor Beach, FL; Anchored on the Banana River

Just 12 more weeks - 84 Days?! Until We Set Sail!

14 August 2005 | Wanchese, NC /Spencer Marine Yard 1:40PM
Jeannette
Well, we've spent the past two mornings surfing and playing on the beach, that's from about 7AM to 10AM, than we grab something quick to eat and head to the boatyard. Yesterday, my big projects were prepping the deck for its new coating of nonskid and white paint, installing teak trim inside Puff that i had removed to refinish-looks beautiful! And putting the hardware back on our new boarding ladder (which I refinished as well). And reinstalling our teak cockpit table (which, yes, I had removed for refinishing). And my final project was putting another coat of Cetol on the outboard engine bracket and the chart storage brackets that Brian made from teak and mahogany. Today so far, besides updating our website, I've only done one project, but it was a big one! I painted the deck with Interlux Toplac Mediterranean White and sprinkled Sterling course non-skid additive all over it. It looks so awesome, but tomorrow I'll do it again to make sure it's good and rough, we don't want any slippage! I am the Cetol, paint, refinishing queen! Now let me tell you about Brian's projects. His current ongoing projects are the chart storage, which I mentioned earlier, and consists of creating wooden brackets to be mounted under the nav station and hold the charts we're currently using rolled up in PVC tubes, it looks pretty cool, I'll put some pics on our website on the boat page. His other thing is Puff's bottom. If you looked at our boat page on our website, and clicked on the "blisters!" button, you saw the work he had ahead of him. For days, he's been filling and fairing the bottom with West Systems epoxy, using 406 filler, and sanding. Then he applied several coats of straight epoxy all over the hull and keel. We want to fortify and waterproof Puff's bottom completely so she won't get blisters again, and in case we have a collision or accidentally scrape her bottom on some coral or something we want her to hold up. After all this epoxy coating, Brian will apply several coats of barrier coat, which is epoxy also, but this kind provides even more of a water barrier. After the barrier coat, we will do several layers of bottom paint, we use ablative Interlux Micron Extra, it sloughs off gradually and prevents creatures growing on your bottom, slowing you down and compromising the integrity of the hull. Its horrible for the environment and makes me feel guilty, but I know it's necessary. The first coat will be red and the others will be green, that way when we start to see red paint showing through on the bottom we will know it is time to haul out and do it again. Puff's gonna look real purty with a bright green bottom showing a little when she's heeled over on a beam reach! Once the bottom's done, we must splash her within like thirty days, so we'll haul ass to get the rigging done, (we're replacing most of our standing rigging), the hard dodger done (which we're doing out of starboard with vinyl curtains), and the cutlass bearing replaced, stuffing box attended to and rudder and prop put back on. It's a lot of stuff, good thing we're going back to the beach this afternoon or else we'd probably lose our minds! Oh yeah, I really want to mention how incredibly nice it's been to live right here next to the boatyard in Brian's parent's RV. It has enabled us to be much more comfortable and get tons more work done, thanks Pete and DeDe! The Columbia's for sale and advertising is all over the place, we've had a few nibbles, but no good bites yet, have faith! Everything's all good! See ya!
Comments
Vessel Name: Puff
Vessel Make/Model: Bayfield 32C
Hailing Port: North Carolina
Crew: Brian Pucella DOB: 11/12/77 & Jeannette Dougherty DOB: 01/21/75
About: CharlieDawg JackCat

Brian and Jeannette aboard s/v Puff

Who: Brian Pucella DOB: 11/12/77 & Jeannette Dougherty DOB: 01/21/75
Port: North Carolina