09 August 2010 | Port Angeles, WA
30 July 2010 | Port Angeles, WA - still
24 July 2010 | Port Angeles, WA
22 July 2010 | Port Angeles, WA
17 July 2010 | Port angeles, WA
16 July 2010 | Port Angeles, WA
13 July 2010 | Port Angeles, Wa
11 July 2010 | Port Angeles, Wa
10 July 2010 | Port Angeles, WA
10 July 2010 | Port Angeles, WA
08 July 2010 | Port Angeles, Wa (duh)
07 July 2010 | Victoria Harbor
05 July 2010 | Victoria B.C.
03 July 2010 | Roche Harbor San Juan Islands
30 June 2010 | Bedwell Harbor Poet's Cove Resort
28 June 2010 | MBVIBC
27 June 2010 | Maple Bay (still) but headed up to Chemanis
25 June 2010 | Maple Bay

Port Townsend update...

23 August 2009 | 48 06 38'N:122 45 31'W
The wind finally quit. Strange as it may seem for sailors to say, we're all pretty glad the wind quit here for a while. It's been blowing around 20 to 30 knots during the day and making life miserable...great if you're sailing...in the harbor...not so good.

So today Willow and Jillian have to go back home...and we're sad about that...also not so happy because we didn't get to do all that we had planned on for their vacation. As it stands we are going to try to make up for it a little farther down the road and get them out on a sailing run to Victoria and the San Juan's.

For us, for now it's time to re-focus on our preparations. As we wanted to get out of Olympia and get started, we left not having completed a lot of projects. After the 1st 20 hours of cruising our list of things needing to be done has naturally increased. We ended up making the last week sort of our "shake-down" cruise...although we didn't officially declare it before we started.

If cruising is defined as "having more exotic places to work on your boat" and if you consider Port Townsend "exotic", then the phrase qualifies for us. We've pretty much decided to allow a month more of prep time before we actually depart...which means everything depends...

We have both decided that we don't want to start down the coast until we are a little more prepared...meaning...feeling more confident about ourselves and the boat. I think I learned a lesson when I tore the electric box off the dock trying to leave the other day. We also know that we have one sail (the main) to get checked out. Fortunately, we have Carol Haussy here in Port Townsend...considered to be the best sailmaker in the world we figure we can't beat that...also we need to haul out again and have the cutlass bearing checked. It's the bearing that holds the prop shaft so it's important. It could be just an alignment problem, or it could need replacing. Surveyor said "consider replacing it after a few hundred more hours." We'll, it may not have lasted that long.

Also on our "To Do" list is connecting things up like the watermaker, wind generator, our Monitor wind vane (a self-steering device that goes on the stern), solar panels, HF (SSB) radio, long distance Wi-Fi set up, and the AIS. We have all the equipment, but we left in such a rush that we didn't have time to hook them all up. We may still wait on some of it for when we get down to Mexico...situation depending.
Vessel Name: Pure Joy
Vessel Make/Model: Islander Freeport 41
Hailing Port: Seattle, Washington USA
Crew: Co-Captains Ray and Sandy
Retired July '09. This is our second sailboat together. Before, Sandy had a Morgan '38 which she sailed from Port Angeles around Puget Sound. Sandy has motored to Mexico in the 70's...and lived and worked on her own boat for 3 years in Alaska. [...]
Extra: We are happy to report we are actually doing exactly what we really really really really really want to do...(short of winning the lottery of couse :)...in any case...it's PURE JOY! HF Contact: KF7IDH
Pure Joy's Photos - Main
Pictures upon arrival in Port Angeles
7 Photos
Created 8 July 2010
4 Photos
Created 7 July 2010
3 Photos
Created 21 June 2010
Finally getting pictures and albums started...apologize for the delay.
5 Photos
Created 14 June 2010
1 Photo | 1 Sub-Album
Created 31 May 2009

Sailing the Dream

Who: Co-Captains Ray and Sandy
Port: Seattle, Washington USA