09 August 2010 | Port Angeles, WA
30 July 2010 | Port Angeles, WA - still
24 July 2010 | Port Angeles, WA
22 July 2010 | Port Angeles, WA
17 July 2010 | Port angeles, WA
16 July 2010 | Port Angeles, WA
13 July 2010 | Port Angeles, Wa
11 July 2010 | Port Angeles, Wa
10 July 2010 | Port Angeles, WA
10 July 2010 | Port Angeles, WA
08 July 2010 | Port Angeles, Wa (duh)
07 July 2010 | Victoria Harbor
05 July 2010 | Victoria B.C.
03 July 2010 | Roche Harbor San Juan Islands
30 June 2010 | Bedwell Harbor Poet's Cove Resort
28 June 2010 | MBVIBC
27 June 2010 | Maple Bay (still) but headed up to Chemanis
25 June 2010 | Maple Bay

Hottest news off the press! We're sticking around for bit!

26 August 2009 | Ray here.
Sandy was supposed to do this particular update but she had to go off to a meeting and asked me to do it for her...

The big news is (for those that care) we've pretty much decided to not leave for Mexico this season! Instead, we're going to sail back down to Poulsbo and stage out of there to do The San Juan's, Vancouver Island, and Southern Alaska this winter and next spring/summer. It is conceivable that we could go on down into Mexico anytime we felt comfortable enough with a weather window, but for now we're going to hang in the Peninsula.

This is a big decision for us as we worked really hard getting the boat and ourselves ready for the trip south. One issue we have is not having the second fuel tank installed. We we're advised by the specialists that we'd need the extra 200 gallons if we where still planning on making the "puddle jump" across from Mexico to Tahiti. It is also cost prohibitive to do it in Southern Califorina, and crazy to try to do it in Mexico (shipping costs and import issues etc.). We know people here and the cost is within reason so that made the first part of this decision plausible. The other issues are, that since we are making this decision, it effectively takes us out of our weather window to head south. October can be pretty bad on the Washington and Oregon coast and we just don't feel confident enough to risk the possible sea-state conditions. This is our retirement...and we're cruisers not racers so there's no real need to jump up and run into storm conditions to prove anything.

There are other issues of course, we left in such a rush that we still have lots of equipment left to connect up, and sails to test out...not to mention sharpening our sailing skills and spending some more time with our friends and family...plus we both really want to do the trip north so there you have it...decision made.

Our haul-out here in Port Townsend is still on schedule for the 2nd and we'll know more about how long will be tied up here when they give us the news on the cutlass bearing. After that, it may be up to Victoria and the San Juan's for a short cruise or back down to Poulsbo to live in a Post Card setting...all choice seems to work.

'till later

Ray
Comments
Vessel Name: Pure Joy
Vessel Make/Model: Islander Freeport 41
Hailing Port: Seattle, Washington USA
Crew: Co-Captains Ray and Sandy
About:
Retired July '09. This is our second sailboat together. Before, Sandy had a Morgan '38 which she sailed from Port Angeles around Puget Sound. Sandy has motored to Mexico in the 70's...and lived and worked on her own boat for 3 years in Alaska. [...]
Extra: We are happy to report we are actually doing exactly what we really really really really really want to do...(short of winning the lottery of couse :)...in any case...it's PURE JOY! HF Contact: KF7IDH
Pure Joy's Photos - Main
Pictures upon arrival in Port Angeles
7 Photos
Created 8 July 2010
4 Photos
Created 7 July 2010
3 Photos
Created 21 June 2010
Finally getting pictures and albums started...apologize for the delay.
5 Photos
Created 14 June 2010
1 Photo | 1 Sub-Album
Created 31 May 2009

Sailing the Dream

Who: Co-Captains Ray and Sandy
Port: Seattle, Washington USA