09 August 2010 | Port Angeles, WA
30 July 2010 | Port Angeles, WA - still
24 July 2010 | Port Angeles, WA
22 July 2010 | Port Angeles, WA
17 July 2010 | Port angeles, WA
16 July 2010 | Port Angeles, WA
13 July 2010 | Port Angeles, Wa
11 July 2010 | Port Angeles, Wa
10 July 2010 | Port Angeles, WA
10 July 2010 | Port Angeles, WA
08 July 2010 | Port Angeles, Wa (duh)
07 July 2010 | Victoria Harbor
05 July 2010 | Victoria B.C.
03 July 2010 | Roche Harbor San Juan Islands
30 June 2010 | Bedwell Harbor Poet's Cove Resort
28 June 2010 | MBVIBC
27 June 2010 | Maple Bay (still) but headed up to Chemanis
25 June 2010 | Maple Bay

Haul out done---Cutlass Bearing is Okay!

01 September 2009 | Port Townsend
Ray here..
Okay so we hauled out for about a half hour and had the cutlass bearing inspected. The issue is, unless you're a diver, you really can't check the bearing while the boat's in the water. So...we had the specialist look at it after we brought her out. He said he couldn't see any real problem with it...so with a cheer (Yessssss!) we hurled the boat back into the water and beat it to the fuel dock.

BTW Sandy did all the docking today...perfect job of bringing her in, doing what I call the magic loop (starting the boat into a tight turn...hitting reverse and bringing the fan tail around...and suddenly...plop perfectly in place to relinquish control to the dock handlers who had to do nothing but pull her back in. Oh I forgot to mention, we have to come in backwards to the lift because our rigging configuration and our boat doesn't back up well...in fact most sailboats don't back well...they're designed to only go forward.

Anyway...Sandy did and excellent job coming both in and out of the haul-out trough...the fuel dock was next and it was a piece of cake after that.

We took 48 gallons....pretty embarrassing for sailboat (should only take maybe a gallon to two ha!)...but we wore appropriate bags over our heads and fueled up anyway. Next time we fuel up we'll get a little better idea of milage. Boat's, by the way, meausure milage in gallons-per-hour not miles per gallon. So if we're doing 6 knots for one hour and we burn 1 gallon of fuel...well you get to do the math...soon we'll be back up to our 300 gallon capacity...can hardly wait until we fill the bill on that one!!! (Let's see...300 gallons at $3.00 gallon)...just give 'em all your money and be glad it's not $5.00 a gallon!!!

Fortunately, we are a sailboat, and theoretically at least, we're supposed to be using the wind and not the iron sail. Our turn is coming...we alway get better milage out of our sails than our engine.

So tomorrow it's off to Poulsbo (we made that decision today) to check in and get some more things done to the boat...until then...we're going to nap alot :)
Comments
Vessel Name: Pure Joy
Vessel Make/Model: Islander Freeport 41
Hailing Port: Seattle, Washington USA
Crew: Co-Captains Ray and Sandy
About:
Retired July '09. This is our second sailboat together. Before, Sandy had a Morgan '38 which she sailed from Port Angeles around Puget Sound. Sandy has motored to Mexico in the 70's...and lived and worked on her own boat for 3 years in Alaska. [...]
Extra: We are happy to report we are actually doing exactly what we really really really really really want to do...(short of winning the lottery of couse :)...in any case...it's PURE JOY! HF Contact: KF7IDH

Sailing the Dream

Who: Co-Captains Ray and Sandy
Port: Seattle, Washington USA