09 August 2010 | Port Angeles, WA
30 July 2010 | Port Angeles, WA - still
24 July 2010 | Port Angeles, WA
22 July 2010 | Port Angeles, WA
17 July 2010 | Port angeles, WA
16 July 2010 | Port Angeles, WA
13 July 2010 | Port Angeles, Wa
11 July 2010 | Port Angeles, Wa
10 July 2010 | Port Angeles, WA
10 July 2010 | Port Angeles, WA
08 July 2010 | Port Angeles, Wa (duh)
07 July 2010 | Victoria Harbor
05 July 2010 | Victoria B.C.
03 July 2010 | Roche Harbor San Juan Islands
30 June 2010 | Bedwell Harbor Poet's Cove Resort
28 June 2010 | MBVIBC
27 June 2010 | Maple Bay (still) but headed up to Chemanis
25 June 2010 | Maple Bay

Oak Harbor Day 2 (or 3 or something like that..).

10 May 2010
We're still here basking in the sun....well, yesterday wasn't so sunny as a front moved in and tosseled us around last night. Still doing systems checks and trip planning for going up the slough to Bellingham.

The generator is purring beautifully, and so is the engine...although we done runned out of electricity yesterday afternoon. The question of course was why...wrong question as that forced me to look at things. I hate looking at things...it always means I'm going to have to fix something. Onward...First thing we noticed was there was no method of really isolating the house batteries from the starting batteries. Huge error on somebodies part. It's like looking at a plate of spaghetti in the engine room when it comes to wiring anyway...and the battery wiring (system?) is worse. The next thing I found out was that our new $200 8-D house battery (one of three)...had no water in it!! What? I've never been sold a battery without water in it!... there's a first time for everything I guess...so the deal is...I added water (yes distilled (as distilled as my watermaker and filtering system can make i). Anyway with one battery completely dead and no telling what else is included in the wiring maze with the other two, plus the other three starting battetries...it's going to take a while to get the electrical mess staightened out.

The tip off came when we tried to start the generator and for the first time since we moved aboard something didn't start. Next I tried the Honda generator and an old battery charger we had hanging around...no joy there either! Finally, I decided to try and hook the little Honda generator into the boat's primary AC electrical system and use the boat's charger...Ho LA!...worked...once we got a little soup in her we went after the main generator...it fired right up...and then on to the engine...Ho La! again...now everythng is working!

All this leads me to two new tasks...first to re-run all the battery cables...they are a mess and totally defeat the purpose of cruising with any sanity...and next...to charge and charge and charge the new house battery...it sure liked the water I put into her.

Tomorrow...it's off to La Conner and the slough...then north to Bellingham.

Ray out
Comments
Vessel Name: Pure Joy
Vessel Make/Model: Islander Freeport 41
Hailing Port: Seattle, Washington USA
Crew: Co-Captains Ray and Sandy
About:
Retired July '09. This is our second sailboat together. Before, Sandy had a Morgan '38 which she sailed from Port Angeles around Puget Sound. Sandy has motored to Mexico in the 70's...and lived and worked on her own boat for 3 years in Alaska. [...]
Extra: We are happy to report we are actually doing exactly what we really really really really really want to do...(short of winning the lottery of couse :)...in any case...it's PURE JOY! HF Contact: KF7IDH

Sailing the Dream

Who: Co-Captains Ray and Sandy
Port: Seattle, Washington USA