09 August 2010 | Port Angeles, WA
30 July 2010 | Port Angeles, WA - still
24 July 2010 | Port Angeles, WA
22 July 2010 | Port Angeles, WA
17 July 2010 | Port angeles, WA
16 July 2010 | Port Angeles, WA
13 July 2010 | Port Angeles, Wa
11 July 2010 | Port Angeles, Wa
10 July 2010 | Port Angeles, WA
10 July 2010 | Port Angeles, WA
08 July 2010 | Port Angeles, Wa (duh)
07 July 2010 | Victoria Harbor
05 July 2010 | Victoria B.C.
03 July 2010 | Roche Harbor San Juan Islands
30 June 2010 | Bedwell Harbor Poet's Cove Resort
28 June 2010 | MBVIBC
27 June 2010 | Maple Bay (still) but headed up to Chemanis
25 June 2010 | Maple Bay

It was a dark and stormy night...

28 May 2010
Fairhaven - Day 14 - As predicted, the front hit this morning about 3:30. Because of the upcoming holiday, and bad weather predicted, we've elected to stay anchored at Fairhaven until Monday when everyone is coming back from their three day Memorial Day weekend. We also elected to stay anchored and not "run for the shed" for this particular front. Our thinking was that everything was pretty predictable about the storm, barometer dropped appropriately, wind waves, wind direction, and speed were... as predicted...and we had a good plot of the front. We wanted a chance to test out our anchoring system and gain some rough weather experience so we stayed put. I let out a little scope (about another 30 feet or so...that put us at 5 to 1 with an all chain rode (3/8" HT) and grounded well with a 60# Manson Supreme. Needless to say...the boat didn't budge. Sandy managed to sleep through it all (30-35 knot winds and rain) while I was "up and at 'em" doing an anchor watch. I wasn't concerned about us so much, as maybe one of the boats south of us dragging anchor or breaking loose. It was tough to see in the dark though...and the rain didn't help but it was a good exercise....grateful no one broke loose.

We're not going ashore today...As stated, our sail is in but we can't go get it now as I don't cold...anything...especially cold water, cold white caps, and cold high winds...some kind of allergy to cold and wet I think....at least that's my suspicion.

So, for today we've elected to just huddle down and ride out the storm...although the storm itself isn't bad (per se) the tide and winds are...with an outgoing tide we get broadsided by high winds which lock us into a position that lets the wind waves from the storm keep rolling us side to side...very uncomfortable. Be glad when the tide changes.

Yesterday, we finished all of our errands...which included two dink trips to shore (we forgot a propane bottle). We got it filled, and purchased all of our fishing and crabbing gear for our run into Canada...crab is open all year for them as is salmon. We figure if we can get 3 crabs or two salmon in the next three months we'll more than pay for our equipment (well except for the licenses which cost $112 US...ouch!
Comments
Vessel Name: Pure Joy
Vessel Make/Model: Islander Freeport 41
Hailing Port: Seattle, Washington USA
Crew: Co-Captains Ray and Sandy
About:
Retired July '09. This is our second sailboat together. Before, Sandy had a Morgan '38 which she sailed from Port Angeles around Puget Sound. Sandy has motored to Mexico in the 70's...and lived and worked on her own boat for 3 years in Alaska. [...]
Extra: We are happy to report we are actually doing exactly what we really really really really really want to do...(short of winning the lottery of couse :)...in any case...it's PURE JOY! HF Contact: KF7IDH

Sailing the Dream

Who: Co-Captains Ray and Sandy
Port: Seattle, Washington USA