09 August 2010 | Port Angeles, WA
30 July 2010 | Port Angeles, WA - still
24 July 2010 | Port Angeles, WA
22 July 2010 | Port Angeles, WA
17 July 2010 | Port angeles, WA
16 July 2010 | Port Angeles, WA
13 July 2010 | Port Angeles, Wa
11 July 2010 | Port Angeles, Wa
10 July 2010 | Port Angeles, WA
10 July 2010 | Port Angeles, WA
08 July 2010 | Port Angeles, Wa (duh)
07 July 2010 | Victoria Harbor
05 July 2010 | Victoria B.C.
03 July 2010 | Roche Harbor San Juan Islands
30 June 2010 | Bedwell Harbor Poet's Cove Resort
28 June 2010 | MBVIBC
27 June 2010 | Maple Bay (still) but headed up to Chemanis
25 June 2010 | Maple Bay

O'Canada!

13 June 2010 | Bedwell Harbor, Pender Island, CAN
Ray here - Sunny


Crappy picture but it's what we got.

Okay so we're here eh?...In Canadia eh? One minute we're plying U.S. waters, the next we've crossed over to our neighbors in the north! My first thought was...they live better than us...and they're nicer.

The trip.... Here's the deal...we left Stuart Island this morning around 10 ish or so...plowed our way over with huge swirling eddies of mass quantities of water either exiting or entering places...Wow...really big swirls and stuff!!!...the old boat hung in there against violent tides (one of the biggest of the year) and swirl we did! Anyway, about half way across, the Chartplotter went bonkers and wouldn't upload the next map page...so instead of going into Canada we we're going into....blank....NADA...chartplotter was blank and worse it started guessing...anyway, I had to use the back up charts on the computer to get us here...not a good day for the navigator....but like they say in airplane talk..."Any landing you walk away from is a good landing!"

So, we pulled into Bedwell Harbor as our Canadian check-in point. Customs was a non-issue...they were polite and cool but no customs guys were actually here...just a phone that you call in and give them a bunch of info....boat documentation, birth dates etc...and Oh!...if you have any corn? (Don't ask...I have no idea)...So now we had arrived in Poet's Cove (Bedwell Harbor on South Pender Island...(anyone interested should go look this place up on the Net...it's awesome and as beautiful as the pictures show!).

We checked in...and found out if you're like...anchored out and stuff (like us) and you're a guest-type-person on the island...then for $5.00 pp you can use their Hot Tub and pool and other facilities at the Poet's Cove Resort...guess what (insert happy face here)...in like...5 minutes we were up to our necks in 109 degree water!! !Yeeeehaa...and then...got to go swimming in 80 degree outdoor, heated swimming pool water! We spent the whole day just going from one pool to the other then to lunch. Tomorrow rinse and repear....Now back at boat...and guess what??? Free Internet on the boat! (because we paid the $5.00 facilities fee!)...and...anchored right off the stern of our boat is a (cover your eyes and ears Willow)... a PRAWN Boat!...selling fresh caught live prawns every day! Beyond way-yumm.

Tomorrow we're dinking over to Port Browning (3 miles away by dink) and going to the grocery store...fun adventure...because we have to go through a channel between islands with rip tides, cliffs, and probably dragons....this is like Oz...and regular groceries are not easy to find.

Tonight we are re-couping and resting from a stressful day hot tubbing...tomorrow it should slow down a bit....we're leaving the hatch open so the crabs can jump in....ray out for now.
Comments
Vessel Name: Pure Joy
Vessel Make/Model: Islander Freeport 41
Hailing Port: Seattle, Washington USA
Crew: Co-Captains Ray and Sandy
About:
Retired July '09. This is our second sailboat together. Before, Sandy had a Morgan '38 which she sailed from Port Angeles around Puget Sound. Sandy has motored to Mexico in the 70's...and lived and worked on her own boat for 3 years in Alaska. [...]
Extra: We are happy to report we are actually doing exactly what we really really really really really want to do...(short of winning the lottery of couse :)...in any case...it's PURE JOY! HF Contact: KF7IDH

Sailing the Dream

Who: Co-Captains Ray and Sandy
Port: Seattle, Washington USA