s/v Purrrfection: The End of our Family Cruising Days

After 7 years, Purrrfection has been sold and our cruising days aboard our beloved Purrrfection are now over.

19 March 2011 | Bundaberg, Augstralia
05 January 2010
01 January 2008 | Pago Pago, American Samoa
18 September 2007 | Pago Pago, American Samoa
01 August 2007 | En route to Tahiti
31 July 2007 | Toau, Tuamotus, French Polynesia
27 July 2007 | Anse Amyot, Toau, Tuamotus, French Polynesia
27 July 2007 | Anse Amyot, Toau, Tuamotus, FP
26 July 2007 | Rotovoa, Fakarava, Tuamotus, French Polynesia
26 July 2007 | Fakarava, Tuamotus, French Polynesia
24 July 2007 | Fakarava, Tuamotus, French Polynesia
22 July 2007 | Fakarava, Tuamotus, French Polynesia
22 July 2007 | Makemo, Tuamotus, French Polynesia
15 July 2007 | Makemo, Tuamotus, French Polynesia
14 July 2007 | Raroria, Tuamotus, French Polynesia
06 July 2007 | Taiohae Baie, Nuku Hiva, Marquesas, French Polynesia
02 July 2007 | Daniel's Bay, Nuku Hiva
01 July 2007 | Daniel's Bay, Nuku Hiva

Happy New Year 2008 from American Samoa

01 January 2008 | Pago Pago, American Samoa
Hello everyone and Happy New Year 2008. Today is a good day to look back on the past year. For us, 2007 was one very busy year. We started off the 2007 in Curacao, then were off to the San Blas Islands of Panama to hang out with the Kuna Indians for a while.

Then it was time to head to Colon, Panama in February and get Purrrfection ready to head through the Panama Canal and into the Pacific. Although Colon itself is a bit of a dump, we have fond memories of all the good times spent at the Panama Canal Yacht Club in Colon, where we were docked for about a month. During that time, both Sam and Victoria made several trips through the canal as line-handlers on other vessels. How many 13 year olds can profess to having traversed the Panama Canal 3 times by age 13?

Then it was time for Purrrfection to go through the Canal and we entered the anchorage off Panama City for another month of "getting ready" for the Pacific. (Hint: Next time, do not buy so much food.)

Then it was off to the Galapagos (a one week passage, more or less) and then 3 weeks enjoying some really swelly anchorages, but otherwise really swell hikes and expeditions.

After the Galapagos, we ventured forth on the longest passage that we had ever had --- it was 22 days until landfall in the Marquesas. After a couple of months in the Marquesas, it was time to head down to the Tuamotus, then off to Tahiti and the surrounding islands of Moorea, Huahine and Bora Bora.

Then time for another 5 day passage (or so) to Suwarrow (aka Suvarov) where we had the pleasure of hanging out in the middle of nowhere -- literally --- while we enjoyed the hospitality of the resident Cook Island game warden and his family (John, Veronical, and 3 boys) and about 12 cruising vessels.

Then we arrived in American Samoa .... and all of our plans changed (as sometimes is apt to happen with cruisers). In a nutshell, we have decided to stay in American Samoa for about 5 years and let the girls finish out high school here. I joke that in less than 3 months we went from being full-time cruisers to: 2 jobs, 2 cars, 4 cell phones, 1 puppy, 1 kitty, and 1 house. But, it all fell into place so easily that we have to assume that this was all meant to be. We really enjoy American Samoa and it is truely a shame that the island has gotten such bad rap in the past. That is, I believe, the result of staying only in the Pago Pago harbor area and never venturing out from that very small area. We were immediately impressed by the friendliness and warmth of the Samoans. By far, the Samoans have been the friendliest islanders we have met in our 3 years of cruising. Hands down.

There are plenty of job opportunities available here on the island. Many companies and the government offer 2 year contracts, which pay for housing, transportation to/from, and shipment of personal effects. But --- this is not Hawaii. If you want Hawaii, then go to Hawaii. American Samoa is not 3rd world, nor it is 1st world. It is a 2nd world country. So, one must remember that when contemplating coming here. As for us, we are all quite happy.

The girls are in private school, and have a great group of friends, and are glad to have the homeschooling phase of their education done and over. Sam and I are both enjoying being gainfully employed again. Life is good. Hope it is for you, too. Best wishes to all for a healthy and prosperous 2008.
Comments
Vessel Name: Purrrfection
Vessel Make/Model: 42' Fountaine Pajot Venezia catamaran
Hailing Port: Boca Raton, Florida, USA
Crew: Sam, Jen, Victoria and Alison
About:
Sam, Jennifer, Victoria & Alison. A former "too busy" family who decided to sail away for a 2 year Caribbean cruise on their catamaran . . . and who then learned that 2 years was not nearly long enough, the world should be explored further, and are now circumnavigating. [...]

The former cruisers:

Who: Sam, Jen, Victoria and Alison
Port: Boca Raton, Florida, USA