A Different Kind of Sailing

05 April 2008 | Panama Canal
04 April 2008 | Acapulco
31 March 2008 | off the coast of Baja California
21 March 2008 | 21 March En Route to Hawaii
18 March 2008 | china
13 March 2008 | Singapore and Viet Nam
13 March 2008 | SOUTH PACIFIC
07 March 2008 | Australia
23 February 2008
16 February 2008
12 February 2008 | easter island
11 February 2008 | QE2
05 February 2008 | Punto Arenas
03 February 2008 | tip of the world
02 February 2008 | off falkland islands
25 January 2008
23 January 2008 | somewhere between Miami and Barbados BWI
08 January 2008
06 January 2008

easter island

12 February 2008 | easter island
charlotte tracy
We have had several days with no internet connection which has been very frustrating. It is not a great commentary on how dependent we have become on email.



We did have our day ashore at Easter Island yesterday, Sunday, and it was wonderful. We had a morning tour with a wonderful young woman tour guide. She is an environmentalist from Chile who is married to an American archeologist. They both have their Masters and will return to school for their PhD's soon. They have a young son so they are "getting the travel over with before he has to be in school". The story of the Moai, the huge figures was fascinating as was the method by which they were able to date all the various periods dating back 4 thousand years. It was a lot of information to take in and I'll probably have to renew my facts at the library to have them stick. The weather was glorious albeit a bit hot. Fortunately there was a nice breeze which prevented us from boiling. The only downside was a queue that lasted an hour in the sun to get back onto the ship. We didn't get back until 3:15 so we were exhausted, hungry and only a bit burned. It was all worth it however and hopefully our photos will come out well enough to share at a later time.



This morning I got up extra early so I could be at the launderette before the crowd. 6;30 am was not early enough however. I had 3 loads and they took almost 4 hours. The dryers are the main problem as many don't work so there is a very long line waiting. There is no room in our cabin for hanging clothes that aren't completely dry as I might at home so I press on till it is all done.



I am going to try to sit on deck today and read then I have a personal training session at 4:00 followed by another cocktail party at 7:30. What a life.
Comments
Vessel Name: Queen Elizabeth II
Hailing Port: Southampton
About: tbd