A Different Kind of Sailing

05 April 2008 | Panama Canal
04 April 2008 | Acapulco
31 March 2008 | off the coast of Baja California
21 March 2008 | 21 March En Route to Hawaii
18 March 2008 | china
13 March 2008 | Singapore and Viet Nam
13 March 2008 | SOUTH PACIFIC
07 March 2008 | Australia
23 February 2008
16 February 2008
12 February 2008 | easter island
11 February 2008 | QE2
05 February 2008 | Punto Arenas
03 February 2008 | tip of the world
02 February 2008 | off falkland islands
25 January 2008
23 January 2008 | somewhere between Miami and Barbados BWI
08 January 2008
06 January 2008

SEA DAYS

13 March 2008 | SOUTH PACIFIC
charlotte tracy
March 9, 2008

We are into our 4th sea day and we were asked about our shipboard days so I thought I would tell about how we spend these days en route to the next destination.



We receive a Daily Program each evening with the next days schedule. Today is Sunday so there is less happening but ordinarily there are 3 Enrichment Lectures at 10:00, 11:00 and 12:15. These are currently from a historian, a scientist-Charlie is having issues with most of these-an upcoming port overview, and finally an astronomer. Some are wonderful, some not so great, i.e. the scientist. Also, during these times there are trivia quizzes, dance classes, computer classes, bingo, fitness classes, darts, full length movies and in the evening variety showtime and dancing. Tonight the after dinner show is a violinist and a comedian. We heard the violinist two nights ago and he is excellent. There have been singers-some wonderful, some not so great. One particular singer was a Celine Dion impersonator and she was awful. All in all, we probably would not go out of our way to attend these evenings but since we have early seating for dinner (6:15) the night is rather long if we don't. Last night was a magician but we decided to walk on deck and enjoy the soft equatorial breezes. We passed through the area between Java and Sumatra about 5:00 P.M. while we were having cocktails and by the time the sun had gone down (9:00) all we could see were lights and great orange flares. It turned out they were the numerous oil drilling platforms. We also noticed that there were manned stations on either side of the ship with radar transponders watching for anything that approached the ship. We didn't see it, but there was a boat that was heading directly for us but was warned away with lights before it was too close. I am sure there is no real danger of pirates but I feel more secure knowing the crew is on watch.



Personally, I am taking Pilates and Yoga and try to walk for 40-45 minutes up on the boat deck each morning before breakfast. I am trying hard to keep this already overweight body from getting more so. We usually have breakfast in the Lido which is buffet service. They have everything: 6 or 7 kinds of cut up fruit, cold cuts and cheese, eggs or omelets made to order, beans, stewed tomatoes, bacon, sausage and toast or muffins. I usually stick to cereal, cold or hot, and take a piece of whole fruit for later in the day. Once we get to our seat, a waiter brings us juice, water, coffee or tea and clears plates as they are set aside. The Lido is at the aft end of the boat with windows on three sides so it is a pleasant place albeit a bit noisy and crowded sometimes. Another plus is that we join or others join us at the table which leads to wonderful conversation in most cases.



We sometimes eat lunch in the Lido and sometimes in our assigned dining room, the Mauretania. It depends on our schedules and how hungry we are. The dining room is a bit slow and the choices are fewer. There are cold and hot meals available but some servings are quite small and while the service is lovely it takes more time. The Lido by contrast is more easygoing and one can have as much as you like. Salad for instance is served in small cereal bowls in the Mauretania which is never really enough for my liking. I do miss the servings of green vegetables and salad that I am used to in the states, especially at home. It has been hard to stick to any kind of healthy diet when potatoes and rice take precedence over green veggies.



At dinner we are usually in the Mauretania unless we want to be on the deck for a sail away. They usually take place about 5:30 to 6:30 and that interferes with our dining hour. Dinner always has 5 courses; starter, soup, salad, entr�e and dessert. The food is excellent for the most part. Last night our table mates had escargot at a starter & Charlie had an antipasto plate.

I had a chilled apple soup and others had a vegetable broth or creamed something soup. We all had beef Wellington for our main meal and it was excellent. Dessert was preceded by the customary Baked Alaska March by servers and chefs complete with sparkler candles. This always happens the night before we reach the end of a segment-in this case Singapore.



There is also a late night buffet with almost anything you could want but we rarely attend. The sea air and all that, have me longing for bed right after the evenings entertainment is finished or before as was the case with Celine. There are always 3 movies to choose from in our cabin and we also brought DVD's to watch on our computers not to mention the time to read without thinking there is something else I should be doing.



Such is a day on the QE2. A little for everyone including more that I haven't mentioned. Three months is a long time but with a little effort the time passes easily and we are missing winter in the northeast.

Comments
Vessel Name: Queen Elizabeth II
Hailing Port: Southampton
About: tbd