Qualchan

04 April 2010
04 April 2010
04 April 2010
04 April 2010
04 April 2010
04 April 2010
04 April 2010
04 April 2010
04 April 2010
04 April 2010
04 April 2010
04 April 2010
04 April 2010
04 April 2010
04 April 2010
04 April 2010
05 March 2010
02 March 2010
02 March 2010

Back on the hook

25 November 2009 | Los Frailes
11/12/09, 23 23 N / 109 24 W Los Frailes Anchorage (The Friars) is about 38 mi NE of Puerto Los Cabos. From the profile, slabs of rock looked to Spanish explorers like friars climbing the steep angle. This was a really nice place, specially after being what felt like strangleheld into a slip in a hot stagnant marina. When we first arrived and set the anchore, just before launching myself off the boat for a much anticipated swim, we spotted portuguese man o wars. Small jellyfish with stingers that can reach several feet, and I'm told feels like razor blades when they sting you. Whatever, the price of freedom, I jumped in anyway. The kids soon followed and by the late afetrnoon the jelly's were gone. I guess the water needs to be above 81 or 82 degrees. We didn't see any the rest of our stay. We did talk to some fellow cruisers that were stung earlier, said wasn't too fun. The visibility here is pretty good, 80+ feet and made for some incredible diving. Charlee and Luke are going deeper and deeper, no fear! Very cool. There are some local fishermen who make this their home and are as we have come to expect very friendly and layed back. We are able to get ice from their enclosed trailer where they keep their daily catch along with some red snapper or whatever else looks good. We have seen a lot of familiar boats come and go since we have been here. Most of them are heading north to La Paz. Some, like us are going south, however with different schedules (or no schedules) and times. We will most likely continue meeting up with several of them as we continue on. While in Frailes, we spent one day making our way over to dive Cabo Pulmo Reef. We were in the beginning stages of a Chubasco which is a strong NE wind blowing 20-25kts so we decided not to try and take the dinghy on the 5 mi. trip around the point, but go by the dirt hwy. The walk would be about 7 mi. so we decided to hitch hike. Took a while because what little traffic there was, was going the other way. Once in Pulmo, although it was beautiful, it was quite blown out and made for poor vis. so the diving wasn't that good. Thumbed back and got a ride right away. We have really come to like Los Frailes, it is very protected from the prevailing w and nw wind and swells, the beaches are nice and the dinghy landings are easy, but it's time to cross the Sea of Cortez to Mazatlan before the Chubasco blows out and leaves us with no wind for who knows how long.
Comments
Vessel Name: Qualchan
Vessel Make/Model: Whitby Ketch
Hailing Port: Redondo Beach
Crew: Todd, Margaret, Natalie, Charlee and Luke
About: We have been married for 21 years and have 5 children ranging from 8 to 20. The youngest 3 of the 5 (8,9,16) help to make up our crew while the two oldest (19&20) attend school, have jobs and hold down the fort.
Extra: We hope to be cruising Mexico for the 2009-10 season. After reaching San Jose Del Cabo, we'll cross over to the mainland coast, go as far south as time allows, then back up to the Sea of Cortez by March.

Who: Todd, Margaret, Natalie, Charlee and Luke
Port: Redondo Beach