Qualchan

04 April 2010
04 April 2010
04 April 2010
04 April 2010
04 April 2010
04 April 2010
04 April 2010
04 April 2010
04 April 2010
04 April 2010
04 April 2010
04 April 2010
04 April 2010
04 April 2010
04 April 2010
04 April 2010
05 March 2010
02 March 2010
02 March 2010

Blue Footed Boobie

24 December 2009
Maz to Isabelea

We left El Cid Marina in Mazatlan Tuesday morning December 2,2009 and anchored off Isla Venados (Deer Island) for the rest of the day. Departed from there about 1700 for an overnight passage to Isla Isabela. We had no wind the entire night and the water was like oil. Upon arriving the following morning, we anchored on the east side of the island near the Las Monas (two, very large rocks). When we came into the anchorage there were only two other boats. I spoke to Jessie from the s.v. Totum who had been there a few times before, and he said this was the most crowded he'd seen this anchorage. (Three boats is my kind of crowded) This Island is almost like an extension of one of the Galapagos Islands, though it really has no relation. It is very remote and the conditions to anchor here must be settled weather. Anchoring here can be a challenge due to the mix of rock, sand and coral bottom. But it's well worth it. The place is primeval like. Giant frigate and blue footed boobies (birds) everywhere. They can be seen from miles off hovering around the island. National Geographic has featured this place as well as other wildlife shows. The island has a small fishing village on the south cove with nothing but shacks for shelter where we saw just a few lacal fisherman. There are various rugged trails throughout the island. I guess part of the year students come to study the birds. We hiked one trail to towards the top of the island and came upon the opening of the volcanic peak which is now a lake. Hiking around this island was really an adventure. The trails became so dense with vegetation and trees, you couldn't see more that several feet of trail in front of you. About three feet above us were nesting giant frigates. The males and females both on the nest, really weird. The males would puff out this huge red sack under their beak and make this loud croaking sound we could hear throughout the island. When we ended up on the cliffs exposed to the ocean, there were nesting boobies everywhere. (everyone should see nesting boobies) They make their nests right on the ground and we came within a foot or so of them. This was all very cool, especially for the kids. Iguanas are also everywhere on the island. We later went diving between the Las Monas, very populated with fish and crustations. We would have liked to stay another day, but the weather was changing, so we decided to take advantage of the clear sky and good breeze for our passage to Chacala.

GO TO THE LINK TO THE RIGHT ON THIS PAGE (FAVORITES) TO SEE MORE PHOTOS ON OUR PHOTOBUCKET. GUEST PASSWORD IS pond-family
..
Comments
Vessel Name: Qualchan
Vessel Make/Model: Whitby Ketch
Hailing Port: Redondo Beach
Crew: Todd, Margaret, Natalie, Charlee and Luke
About: We have been married for 21 years and have 5 children ranging from 8 to 20. The youngest 3 of the 5 (8,9,16) help to make up our crew while the two oldest (19&20) attend school, have jobs and hold down the fort.
Extra: We hope to be cruising Mexico for the 2009-10 season. After reaching San Jose Del Cabo, we'll cross over to the mainland coast, go as far south as time allows, then back up to the Sea of Cortez by March.

Who: Todd, Margaret, Natalie, Charlee and Luke
Port: Redondo Beach