Queen’s Ransom circumnavigating Ireland and the Orkneys

Queen’s Ransom III is a Najad 520 from the UK

27 November 2023 | Chatham
26 November 2023 | Queenborough, Isle of Sheppey
25 November 2023 | Ramsgate
10 November 2023 | Weymouth
15 October 2023 | Dittisham, River Dart
14 October 2023 | River Yealm
22 September 2023 | Fowey
03 September 2023 | River Yealm
02 September 2023 | New Grimsby Sound
01 September 2023 | Tresco, Isles of Scilly
31 August 2023 | Celtic Sea
30 August 2023 | Great Saltee Island, County Wexford, Ireland
28 August 2023 | Castletown, Isle of Man
27 August 2023 | Bangor
26 August 2023 | Sound of Islay
25 August 2023 | Oban
24 August 2023 | Oban
23 August 2023 | Mallaig
22 August 2023 | Loch Duich
21 August 2023 | Stornoway

The sail of a life time

10 June 2016 | Leixoes
Ulric NNW5
We are power reaching under a clear sky at 8-9 knots in 20-22 knots of wind. This is sailing as its best. Queenie is literally jumping on the waves and running through the water. The lights of Oporto are lying straight ahead. The moon is straight astern; illuminating the water in our wake. It is a street of moon light in the sea or as we call it in Swedish "mangata"; moon street. The speed of Queenie is emphasisied by the water sloshing in her wake by the dim light of the moon. Hans reefed the genoa a bit as he recorded gusts of 27 knots during his watch.

Earlier this evening, my competitor from the Caribbean 600 Rambler 88 showed up on AIS. She is apparently 98, not 88 feet. Then we could make her out sailing by eye as well. She must be extraordinarily close hauled and can make a course due of 10-11 knots in a North North Westerly Wind. Anyway, she also won or took one of the best positions in the 2015 C600. Possibly she is on the way to compete in the "Around the Island Race" around the Isle of Wight later this month.

Hans cooked another amazing dinner tonight; soup, beef, home made apple puree, home fried French fries (straight from potatoes) and a dessert with fruit and cream. Wow! This was a high end of a week filled by "high cuisine" on the "high seas". Suddenly, I heard a voice on the radio. It has been quiet for the last five days. The emptiness of this stretch of ocean is a surprise to me.

We plan to anchor South of the Southern break water of the port of Leixoes to get shelter from the Northerly winds; the main commercial port of the North of Portugal. The Douro River is too shallow and narrow to safely be entered by new comers at night. I have very mixed feeling about this trip drawing to its close. It will be nice to put down your feet on stable earth again and not have the continuous movement and sometimes heel of the boat. I will very much miss to not be at sea and sailing as well.

This was probably the best day of the trip. Excellent sailing, we gradually have been able to sail a less close hauled course as we have become more confident that we can reach Oporto without tacking which would be very time consuming. This is a contrast with yesterday, then I had a bit of a down day when the movement of the boat got to me. It is time to wake Hans as it is only 2 nautical miles to go. We should be there by 1.30 AM; 5 days and 6.5 hours since we weighted anchor at Porto Santo.
Comments
Vessel Name: Queen's Ransom III
Vessel Make/Model: Najad 520
Hailing Port: Medway, UK
About:
Extra:
Queen's Ransom III is a Najad 520 build no. 22 from 1996. She is equipped and maintained for world wide cruising. Read more about her Viking Voyage on this website "the Mission" under favourites Go to "the Boat" under favourites to read more about Queen's Ransom. Go to "the Voyage" under [...]
Home Page: http://www.queens-ransom.com