People of the Salt Water

03 November 2023 | Plymouth UK
03 November 2023
21 September 2022 | Shining Waters, St Margaret's Bay, Nova Scotia
30 August 2022 | Currently at Shining Waters, St Margaret's Bay, Nova Scotia
21 September 2019 | Currently on the hard at Souris, Prince Edward Island, Canada
26 August 2019 | Gaspe
11 August 2019 | Rimouski Marina, Province of Quebec
03 August 2019 | Longueuil Marina
09 June 2019 | Kingston, Ontario
07 June 2019 | Port Whitby Marina, Canada
01 October 2018 | Irondequoit, Rochester New York State, US
03 September 2017 | Port Whitby Marina, Ontario
07 August 2017 | Kingston, Ontario
05 July 2017 | Cobourg, Lake Ontario, Canada
25 June 2017 | Oswego
11 June 2017 | Waterford, NY
24 May 2017 | Port Washington, Long Island Sound, New York
11 May 2017 | Port Washington, Long Island Sound
28 April 2017 | Annapolis
23 April 2017 | Washington DC

Afloat again - first stop Washington DC

13 April 2017 | Washington DC
Belinda & Kit
Picture shows The Washington Monument viewed from Quilcene moored in Washington Channel

More pics at: https://goo.gl/photos/9ro1QJuPNLQwzzTw7

We enjoyed staying in the little cabin, far more comfortable than living on the boat in the yard!! Our hard work paid off and Quilcene was soon looking good and ready for launch. We returned the hire car, it had to go to Williamsburg 50 miles away. Our neighbour Jim in the boatyard, very kindly offered us the use of his car so I could follow Kit in the hire car and then return to Deltaville. We've been overwhelmed by the kindness and generosity shown by people we hardly know.

Launch went OK and we tied up on the dock whilst we put sails on and got the boat ready to go. Every day the boat was covered with a fine yellow dust which we soon discovered was pollen from the surrounding trees. There was so much that it settled like a film on the water and was blown into the docks (see pic - link above). Locals told us that it would be over in a couple of weeks.

Two storms passed through; it was probably quite early in the season although mostly we had fine dry weather if a little cold. The wind during one storm gusted 60 mph and the wave movement pushed Quilcene onto the dock pilings. Two guys came to help but despite our efforts to fend off we sustained a little damage to the toe rail. It was strange how the wind was so strong one minute we were fighting with the fenders; next minute it suddenly stopped as if a switch had been flicked and the wind and waves died off!

Finally we set off to sail north in Chesapeake Bay and up to Washington DC, 98 miles upriver from the mouth of the Potomac. The Potomac River is very wide at the mouth and you can hardly see the far bank. Once into the river we tentatively picked our way into a pretty creek on the south bank to anchor for the first night, avoiding the crabpots that seemed to be everywhere.

Next day we continued upriver following the buoyed channel. We thought it was a bit hazy then realised that it was clouds of pollen dust blowing up from the trees and across the river (see google pics). I have never suffered from hay fever but this had me sneezing with my eyes watering.

We could see on the chart that we were approaching a military firing range so Kit called them up to check it was OK to pass. A very polite young man told us there would be firing so we had to move over and keep to the north side of the river. Naturally we complied but were a little sceptical about the firing - how wrong can you be?? Sudden deafening booms rang out and we almost jumped out of our skins! Coastguard and military vessels were out in force and no doubt monitored our progress through the zone.

After a second quiet night anchored this time at the side of the river, the wind turned against us as the river narrowed causing an uncomfortable wind/tide effect that saw us bashing into quite big waves! Luckily it didn't last for too long and the final stretches were relatively quiet.

We passed by Mount Vernon, the historic house where George Washington lived with his wife Martha in the 1700's. We could see lots of tourists wandering around the grounds and felt lucky to have a great view of the house from the river.

As far away as Alexandria, 5 miles downriver of DC we could see the tall Washington Monument and the dome of Capitol Hill. Planes flew low overhead as they approached Ronald Reagan Airport on the west bank of the Potomac in Washington.

We motored into the Washington Channel and picked up a mooring just off the waterfront. We could see the Monument towering above all the buildings on one side and the green swath of East Potomac Park and golf course on the other. Few cruisers seem to come this way, There was only one other boat on the moorings and it left next day.

The moorings lie 10 long blocks from the Washington Mall. Buses and Metro access is fairly close. A great spot for a base to go exploring!
Comments
Vessel Name: Quilcene
Vessel Make/Model: Bowman 40
Hailing Port: Plymouth, UK
Crew: Kit and Belinda
About:
In our previous lives, Belinda worked as a marine biologist at the MBA Plymouth and Kit was a surveyor for a marine civil engineering company. Over the years we had sailed the south west of England and northern France. [...]
Extra: Quilcene, a Bowman 40, is a masthead cutter designed by Chuck Paine and built in 1991. The name is an American Indian word meaning 'People of the Salt Water', which we feel suits us very well. Quilcene is also a town on the West coast of the USA near Seattle.
Quilcene's Photos - Main
1 Photo
Created 20 March 2017
33 Photos
Created 21 February 2017
Melbourne and driving the Great Ocean Road
27 Photos
Created 7 February 2017
34 Photos
Created 1 August 2016
16 Photos
Created 26 July 2016