People of the Salt Water

03 November 2023 | Plymouth UK
03 November 2023
21 September 2022 | Shining Waters, St Margaret's Bay, Nova Scotia
30 August 2022 | Currently at Shining Waters, St Margaret's Bay, Nova Scotia
21 September 2019 | Currently on the hard at Souris, Prince Edward Island, Canada
26 August 2019 | Gaspe
11 August 2019 | Rimouski Marina, Province of Quebec
03 August 2019 | Longueuil Marina
09 June 2019 | Kingston, Ontario
07 June 2019 | Port Whitby Marina, Canada
01 October 2018 | Irondequoit, Rochester New York State, US
03 September 2017 | Port Whitby Marina, Ontario
07 August 2017 | Kingston, Ontario
05 July 2017 | Cobourg, Lake Ontario, Canada
25 June 2017 | Oswego
11 June 2017 | Waterford, NY
24 May 2017 | Port Washington, Long Island Sound, New York
11 May 2017 | Port Washington, Long Island Sound
28 April 2017 | Annapolis
23 April 2017 | Washington DC

A Trip on the NY Canals

25 June 2017 | Oswego
Belinda and Kit
Picture shows a beautiful spot on the Erie Canal

See more pics on Google Photos; https://goo.gl/photos/ao1uQGpm2UcgyYQx5

After a few dry days the water levels had subsided sufficiently for the canals to reopen but just to be sure we gave it another day or so before heading into the first flight of locks. The first one on the Erie Canal (perversely numbered Lock 2) is a 'biggie' with a 34 foot rise. We were quite apprehensive but managed OK and once through the first 5 and into the Mohawk River we felt like old hands.

We left Waterford with another yacht, 'Espirit'. The skipper, Pete, was single-handed and we were very impressed that he could manage alone as the Canal locks, especially the rising ones on the river sections, are actually quite hard work. Most are next to a dam with rushing water that sets up a lot of turbulence as we approach, then we have to go in and hold on to pipes, cables or sometimes just ropes hanging down the lock sides.

It can be difficult to control the boat and stop it swinging when the water rushes in. The deepest lock had a rise of 40 feet and didn't have opening gates but an overhead gate that dropped down - it felt like going into a dark tomb! (See google pics) We stood on the boat at the bottom hanging onto just a rope each as the lock filled.

The locks are perhaps more difficult for yachts than motor boats because we have the mast overhanging both ends! We tried to alleviate the problem with a wooden plank tied across the boat close to the bows to keep the masthead fended off but it snapped in the second lock! However we only had one casualty - the VHF antennae which hit the lock wall and got twisted at the top of the mast. Luckily Kit has another and was planning to replace it anyway!

New York Canals are in their centennial year and as part of the celebrations are waiving all transit fees for 12 months. We travelled 184 statute miles on the system from Waterford to Oswego, partly on canals and part rivers. There are numerous docks along the route where we can tie up overnight for free, so our passage through cost us very little.

We travelled with Espirit for a few days but Pete was in a hurry and had further to go than us as he was bound for Buffalo on Lake Erie. Our route saw us leaving the Erie and entering the Oswego Canal to get to Lake Ontario.

We rose up to 420 feet above sea level, however once we got to that level and began to go down in the locks to the level of Lake Ontario (245' above sea level) things were much easier!

Overall the canals were very interesting and we enjoyed seeing wildlife as we motored along; Bald Eagles, Osprey, beaver, ground hog, deer, snapping turtles and numerous small birds. It was also good to visit some inland places and many pretty canalside towns where people were very helpful and made us feel welcome.

Even so it was a good feeling to pass through the final lock and arrive at Oswego on the shore of Lake Ontario. It's a nice town with lots of individual shops on the high street - something we haven't often found in the US!

Re-stepping the mast went really well despite our misgivings about the slim-looking gin pole they use in Oswego - again the guys know exactly what to do and are very professional. Now, we're looking forward to raising the sails and heading out onto Lake Ontario.
Comments
Vessel Name: Quilcene
Vessel Make/Model: Bowman 40
Hailing Port: Plymouth, UK
Crew: Kit and Belinda
About:
In our previous lives, Belinda worked as a marine biologist at the MBA Plymouth and Kit was a surveyor for a marine civil engineering company. Over the years we had sailed the south west of England and northern France. [...]
Extra: Quilcene, a Bowman 40, is a masthead cutter designed by Chuck Paine and built in 1991. The name is an American Indian word meaning 'People of the Salt Water', which we feel suits us very well. Quilcene is also a town on the West coast of the USA near Seattle.
Quilcene's Photos - Main
1 Photo
Created 20 March 2017
33 Photos
Created 21 February 2017
Melbourne and driving the Great Ocean Road
27 Photos
Created 7 February 2017
34 Photos
Created 1 August 2016
16 Photos
Created 26 July 2016