People of the Salt Water

03 November 2023 | Plymouth UK
03 November 2023
21 September 2022 | Shining Waters, St Margaret's Bay, Nova Scotia
30 August 2022 | Currently at Shining Waters, St Margaret's Bay, Nova Scotia
21 September 2019 | Currently on the hard at Souris, Prince Edward Island, Canada
26 August 2019 | Gaspe
11 August 2019 | Rimouski Marina, Province of Quebec
03 August 2019 | Longueuil Marina
09 June 2019 | Kingston, Ontario
07 June 2019 | Port Whitby Marina, Canada
01 October 2018 | Irondequoit, Rochester New York State, US
03 September 2017 | Port Whitby Marina, Ontario
07 August 2017 | Kingston, Ontario
05 July 2017 | Cobourg, Lake Ontario, Canada
25 June 2017 | Oswego
11 June 2017 | Waterford, NY
24 May 2017 | Port Washington, Long Island Sound, New York
11 May 2017 | Port Washington, Long Island Sound
28 April 2017 | Annapolis
23 April 2017 | Washington DC

A short sailing season!

01 October 2018 | Irondequoit, Rochester New York State, US
Belinda and Kit
Picture from the train crossing the Niagara River rapids from the US to Canada

More pics on Google Photos; https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZSN5qzikwt5icFDJ8

Plans did not go as expected in 2018.
We returned to Quilcene in Port Whitby, Ontario at the beginning of May. She had survived the harsh Canadian winter OK and we set to preparing her for launch and a season's sailing on the Lakes.

We were just about ready to set sail when I (Belinda) slipped on the dock and broke my shoulder - ouch! The Canadian hospital was very good, but before any diagnosis or treatment was offered we had to produce a credit card. I know we were visitors, but I have to wonder what would happen if a visitor hadn't the budget for such an occurrence! Anyway, we paid for the visit, X-ray, sling and pain killers, and a subsequent visit to the fracture clinic. (Happily our travel insurance company reimbursed us later)

We spent a few days with Kit's brother and sister-in-law Peter and Pat whilst deciding what to do. I obviously couldn't manage on the boat, and the doctor in the fracture clinic advised returning to the UK for further treatment, so that's what we did.

Suffice to say the NHS were marvellous; I'd seen a hospital doctor, been X-rayed again and seen a physiotherapist before we'd been back in the UK four days. We really don't know how fortunate we are having our NHS!

...and it wasn't all bad news! We happened to be home for the best UK summer in years!

We returned to Canada at the beginning of August, and after a couple of days with Kit's brother Peter, set off on Quilcene for the Thousand Islands where we'd had such a wonderful time last year. My shoulder was still painful so we didn't want to do anything too adventurous or strenuous. Unfortunately the weather wasn't co-operating; it was very hot and humid and there were frequent thunderstorms during August, which produced quite squally and unpredictable periods.

However we visited Cobourg, Kingston (where we were hit by a severe squall during a night at anchor!), the Thousand Islands and Gananoque. We sailed across to the US and checked in at Cape Vincent, a small, pretty town just south of the Thousand Islands in the St Lawrence Seaway. That would have been a nice place to have lingered but the dock was unprotected from the waves and we spent a lumpy night with all fenders squeaking!

From there we sailed across the east end of the lake to Oswego, where we tied to the wall. We were surprised when a small cruise ship emerged from the Oswego Canal and tied up behind us! Kit offered to take their (rather thick) lines but the crew had it in hand.

A few of the passengers wandered by and told us that they'd come up on the canal system from New York, just as we'd done the previous year! The ship was specially designed for the narrow canal system with its low bridges. From Oswego they were heading up into the St Lawrence Seaway and onto their final destination - Quebec.

The weather settled down a bit in September but it was still very hot and humid most days. We sailed along the southern shores of Lake Ontario to Sodus Bay, an enclosed bay with many pretty anchorages. Here we were able to relax and enjoy swimming in the clean water and watching wildlife. We saw deer come down to the water's edge in the quiet evenings; this was a surprise as they were on one of the islands! Perhaps they walk across during the winter when the bay is frozen? Every morning a beautiful red fox trotted through the trees that lined the shore. Above us Osprey and Eagles swooped over the shoreline and dived to catch their fish supper - it was a wonderful sight!

This, and the wading birds and turtles made Sodus Bay one of our favourite anchorages.

Friends in Port Whitby had recommended Sodus Bay Yacht Club, so we rang them and asked if we could visit. Wow, what a welcome! As we docked we were met by about 10 club members who all turned out to welcome us and lend a hand with the lines as it was windy. They gave us a free night on their dock and a good rate for subsequent nights. We were also invited into the club for Saturday night drinks and dinner.

We swapped club burgees and promised to return next spring for another visit.

All too soon it was time to move on to Rochester and Quilcene's winter quarters. We motored from Sodus Bay along the lakeshore to the Genesse River in flat calm without a breath of wind. It was beautiful but we'd have preferred a final sail!

Entering the River was hectic as it was a Sunday afternoon and it seemed that every boater was out enjoying the warm weather! We arrived just as dozens of dinghy sailors were returning to their club, some under sail and some being towed in lines of five or six, so we had to negotiate the river entrance and find 'our' marina without bumping into anyone!

Eventually we were directed to a berth, where we stayed for a week preparing the boat for haul out and storage.

We took one day off to take the bus into Rochester and attend the Rochester Fringe Festival, where we saw a-capella singers, stand-up comedy and a rock band - all very good and all for free! The festival is styled on the Edinburgh Fringe and seemed well organised as well as being great fun!

After the boat was hauled we locked her up and caught a train around the Lake to Toronto, then on to stay with Kit's brother for our last few days. We crossed the US/Canadian Border at Niagara, where we had to leave the train to pass through Customs and Border control, then re-boarded the same train to Toronto. It took a bit of time but there were no problems!

..and as an added bonus while in Toronto we went to watch an ice hockey match - a first for both of us. The Toronto Maple Leafs vs the Detroit Redwings; quite a spectacle, and happily for all the fans the Maple Leafs were victorious!

So another sailing season drew to an end, it was short but at least we had managed to get out on the Lake and enjoy the places we visited. In our eight week trip we'd circumnavigated Lake Ontario by yacht and train!


Comments
Vessel Name: Quilcene
Vessel Make/Model: Bowman 40
Hailing Port: Plymouth, UK
Crew: Kit and Belinda
About:
In our previous lives, Belinda worked as a marine biologist at the MBA Plymouth and Kit was a surveyor for a marine civil engineering company. Over the years we had sailed the south west of England and northern France. [...]
Extra: Quilcene, a Bowman 40, is a masthead cutter designed by Chuck Paine and built in 1991. The name is an American Indian word meaning 'People of the Salt Water', which we feel suits us very well. Quilcene is also a town on the West coast of the USA near Seattle.
Quilcene's Photos - Main
1 Photo
Created 20 March 2017
33 Photos
Created 21 February 2017
Melbourne and driving the Great Ocean Road
27 Photos
Created 7 February 2017
34 Photos
Created 1 August 2016
16 Photos
Created 26 July 2016