People of the Salt Water

03 November 2023 | Plymouth UK
03 November 2023
21 September 2022 | Shining Waters, St Margaret's Bay, Nova Scotia
30 August 2022 | Currently at Shining Waters, St Margaret's Bay, Nova Scotia
21 September 2019 | Currently on the hard at Souris, Prince Edward Island, Canada
26 August 2019 | Gaspe
11 August 2019 | Rimouski Marina, Province of Quebec
03 August 2019 | Longueuil Marina
09 June 2019 | Kingston, Ontario
07 June 2019 | Port Whitby Marina, Canada
01 October 2018 | Irondequoit, Rochester New York State, US
03 September 2017 | Port Whitby Marina, Ontario
07 August 2017 | Kingston, Ontario
05 July 2017 | Cobourg, Lake Ontario, Canada
25 June 2017 | Oswego
11 June 2017 | Waterford, NY
24 May 2017 | Port Washington, Long Island Sound, New York
11 May 2017 | Port Washington, Long Island Sound
28 April 2017 | Annapolis
23 April 2017 | Washington DC

Chilly in Canada

07 June 2019 | Port Whitby Marina, Canada
Belinda and Kit | Fine but chilly
Picture shows; Keeping warm out on the Lake!

More pics on Google Photos; https://photos.app.goo.gl/MGiHNWFzF3o6KvSH7

Well, here we are back in Port Whitby, Canada! We arrived here in a roundabout way; two days in New York, ten days in Rochester preparing the boat for launch, and a very cold passage across Lake Ontario!

It rained almost all the time we were in New York, we went to Times Square but ended escaping the rain in the Hard Rock Café. During a dry couple of hours we did manage to take the Staten Island ferry and got great views of Manhattan Island, albeit under dark skies!

We'd booked an Airbnb in Rochester, just a small comfortable studio, which was very handy as we worked our way through the list of tasks to complete before launching. We worked hard sanding and painting Quilcene's hull and it was nice to have somewhere to stay, shower and cook away from the boat! We had also rented a car for a week and were able to stock the cupboards with all the heavy stuff.

Slowly Quilcene began to look shipshape, and launch day came around - it's always a tense time wondering if all is watertight and functioning correctly, but it went smoothly and we were afloat once again! Next we fitted the sails ready for the trip across the Lake.

Most of the docks in Rochester are fixed as the lake is not tidal, but at present they're often under an inch under water so we had to paddle to get on the boat! The electricity supply we'd used last year is also underwater so they'd installed new shoreside posts to hook up to. The Great Lakes' water levels are at record highs after an unusually wet spring and the snow melt. It made fendering very difficult as they just floated. There is flooding all around the Lakeshore and a state of emergency has been announced for NY State counties on the lakes. Many boat owners have delayed launching as most of the marinas and docks are under water and few have functioning electric hook-ups. It was like this in 2017 and they said it was a 'once in a hundred-year occurrence'!

It's high time that serious global action is taken to combat Climate Change.

Rochester Marina did have some good points tho'; namely a bar/restaurant called Schooners where we could get a refreshing beer after a hard day's sanding and painting. One evening they had a great band playing jazz and rock classics. We even had a dance!! ....and with Kits creaky knees too!!!

We crossed the Lake to Canada on 27th May and had a calm but bitterly cold 12-hour passage! Despite the sunshine it was only 7C in the cockpit when we were out on the Lake. The water temperature was 7C too so any breeze across the water felt icy. We had thermals, fleeces, woolly hats, gloves and full weatherproofs on!

Port Whitby has floating docks secured to the bottom with chains, so the water level isn't causing too much of a problem here although some of the chains have had to be lengthened we're told. Facilities are better here, with washing machines, dryers, and lovely warm clean shower rooms.
Kit's brother Peter lives a few miles away so it's great to be able to visit him and Pat again

We removed the sails again and had the mast lifted off and laid on trestles in the yard. There were several jobs to be done; changing lights, retrieving lost halyards, rewiring and replacing the VHF radio antenna, replacing the wind instrument etc. That's been keeping Kit busy, along with fitting a much-needed new heater in the boat. The latter task was quite difficult as he was working in a confined space in the cockpit locker!
The weather is sunshine and showers but it's still quite chilly! When the wind blows from the north it's cold, and when it blows from the south across the lake it's cold! Last May here was much warmer. Roll on summer!

Our plans to head down the St Lawrence are on hold for a while as parts of the River and Seaway are hazardous to small craft because of flooding, increased flow rates and debris in the water. We're in no hurry to leave Port Whitby as we have other maintenance work that's been put off for a while so now is as good a time as any to get on with it! Then we'll take our time and stick to Lake Ontario and the Thousand Islands until the water level situation improves.

No hurry - no worry!
Comments
Vessel Name: Quilcene
Vessel Make/Model: Bowman 40
Hailing Port: Plymouth, UK
Crew: Kit and Belinda
About:
In our previous lives, Belinda worked as a marine biologist at the MBA Plymouth and Kit was a surveyor for a marine civil engineering company. Over the years we had sailed the south west of England and northern France. [...]
Extra: Quilcene, a Bowman 40, is a masthead cutter designed by Chuck Paine and built in 1991. The name is an American Indian word meaning 'People of the Salt Water', which we feel suits us very well. Quilcene is also a town on the West coast of the USA near Seattle.
Quilcene's Photos - Main
1 Photo
Created 20 March 2017
33 Photos
Created 21 February 2017
Melbourne and driving the Great Ocean Road
27 Photos
Created 7 February 2017
34 Photos
Created 1 August 2016
16 Photos
Created 26 July 2016