People of the Salt Water

03 November 2023 | Plymouth UK
03 November 2023
21 September 2022 | Shining Waters, St Margaret's Bay, Nova Scotia
30 August 2022 | Currently at Shining Waters, St Margaret's Bay, Nova Scotia
21 September 2019 | Currently on the hard at Souris, Prince Edward Island, Canada
26 August 2019 | Gaspe
11 August 2019 | Rimouski Marina, Province of Quebec
03 August 2019 | Longueuil Marina
09 June 2019 | Kingston, Ontario
07 June 2019 | Port Whitby Marina, Canada
01 October 2018 | Irondequoit, Rochester New York State, US
03 September 2017 | Port Whitby Marina, Ontario
07 August 2017 | Kingston, Ontario
05 July 2017 | Cobourg, Lake Ontario, Canada
25 June 2017 | Oswego
11 June 2017 | Waterford, NY
24 May 2017 | Port Washington, Long Island Sound, New York
11 May 2017 | Port Washington, Long Island Sound
28 April 2017 | Annapolis
23 April 2017 | Washington DC

Heading East Again

09 June 2019 | Kingston, Ontario
Belinda and Kit | Warm and Sunny - at last!
Picture shows; Fair winds out on Lake Ontario

A few more pics on Google Photos; https://photos.app.goo.gl/Lay14AQ77S99NeWQ9

Summer finally arrived in Ontario, albeit somewhat late. Temperatures began to rise, and we were able to throw off the extra blankets at night - not before time!

After completing lots of (long put off) maintenance tasks on the boat we bade farewell to Peter and Pat and our friends in Port Whitby and had a great sail east along the Lakeshore to Cobourg, where we spent a few days anchored inside the breakwater. It was fun watching all the Cobourg Yacht Club boats vying for position as they raised sails in the harbour for their race night. We launched the dinghy and made several runs ashore checking out shops and cafes. The water level in the lakes had shown no sign of abating and although Cobourg marina was open, they had no power to the docks as the power cables were underwater.

Next stop was a pretty, peaceful anchorage in Prince Edward Bay; Van Dousens point is off the beaten track and we were the only boat there. An eagle appeared in the early evening and perched atop a dead tree, an ideal vantage point for spotting its prey. We watched transfixed as it swooped down to strike and flew away with a fish supper held in its talons. Early morning brought three deer down to the water's edge, making their way around the shoreline in the trees, oblivious to us sipping our first cuppa in the cockpit!

From there we headed toward Kingston, dropping the anchor en route in Kerr Bay on Amherst Island. This anchorage is about 16 miles from Kingston and its close proximity makes it popular with locals. We were one of 15 boats anchored there but there's plenty of room for all. Again, there was ample opportunity for spotting wildlife; deer on the shoreline, a pair of hunting Osprey, and numerous Terns performing their dive- bombing fishing technique kept us entertained. I, Belinda, took my first swim in the Lake this year, it was still quite chilly but invigorating! Kit prefers the water temperature to be 30C before he dons his swimmers!

We're now in Kingston, a favourite place of ours. This is our fourth visit in three years, so we know where to find the best shops, cafes and bars. We arrived on Canada Day, July 1st, dropped anchor and watched the celebratory firework displays from the water.

Unfortunately, we'd discovered that our radar is not working but had managed to find an electronics engineer near Kingston to take a look. Obviously, we had to check into the marina for him to come aboard so we've taken a week alongside. The Furuno radar unit we have has been a good one but is now quite old, and despite his best efforts, the engineer couldn't breathe life into it!

Replacement parts are not now available, and radar will be essential for when we hit fog in Nova Scotia, which by all accounts is unavoidable. With no easy fix, we had no option but to order a new one - making quite a dent in the bank balance!

So, we're waiting for the new unit to be delivered and fitted, hopefully in a few days. Meanwhile we're enjoying the delights of Kingston, which just happens to be hosting a 'Busker Festival'; it's fun wandering around town with street entertainers drawing crowds on many corners. The antics of one guy, 'Kilted Colin' were incredible. Not only did he play 'Scotland the Brave' on bagpipes whilst riding a 10 ft unicycle, but he juggled three knives at the same time!! That was definitely worth a donation in his Scottish hat!

The last three days have brought high temperatures and high humidity, combining to feel like 40C and making us feel whacked by the afternoon. Happily a 'cold' front just passed through cooling things down to a manageable 25C -long may it last!


Comments
Vessel Name: Quilcene
Vessel Make/Model: Bowman 40
Hailing Port: Plymouth, UK
Crew: Kit and Belinda
About:
In our previous lives, Belinda worked as a marine biologist at the MBA Plymouth and Kit was a surveyor for a marine civil engineering company. Over the years we had sailed the south west of England and northern France. [...]
Extra: Quilcene, a Bowman 40, is a masthead cutter designed by Chuck Paine and built in 1991. The name is an American Indian word meaning 'People of the Salt Water', which we feel suits us very well. Quilcene is also a town on the West coast of the USA near Seattle.
Quilcene's Photos - Main
1 Photo
Created 20 March 2017
33 Photos
Created 21 February 2017
Melbourne and driving the Great Ocean Road
27 Photos
Created 7 February 2017
34 Photos
Created 1 August 2016
16 Photos
Created 26 July 2016