Radiance

Port: Tacoma, Washington USA
www.heifer.org
05 January 2012
12 August 2011 | Brisbane
20 June 2011
28 August 2010
07 January 2010 | Denmark
07 January 2010 | Denmark
23 December 2009
20 December 2009 | Farum, DK
26 November 2009
31 October 2009
31 October 2009
31 October 2009
31 October 2009
05 July 2009
05 July 2009 | The farm in Denmark
26 May 2009 | Denmark

Mazatlan to Marqueses

24 April 2007 | 44 hours out of Mazatlan, 20 31.49 N, 108 25.44 W
Angela
Days 1 and 2

I will get to the weather observations, but first, a little about the current situation on board:

We are all fine, but yesterday Steen saw that the propane tank pressure was low. We had the 5 lb. tank and our 1 lb back-up tank filled last week at Marina Mazatlan; a full tank usually lasts us 5+ weeks.

In the past, our pressure gauge always read 100 psi after a week or so of use, and ours is currently reading 50 psi. Steen lifted the tank from it's locker and, per weight, the tank felt only 25% full. (That would mean we would run out of propane a week or more before landing in the Marqueses).

As I write this, Steen is reading about pressure differences based on gas composition, so, hopefully, our tank was filled with 1/2 propane, 1/2 butane, which would, again hopefully, last a full 5 weeks.

Hm, we will get back to the blog on that...

Weather wise, all is well; winds are 10 to 20 knots, we are averaging 5.5 knots, full sail during the day, and reduced sail at night. Seas are stable with a moderate swell. 5 ft. at 5 seconds, no particular athwartships motion, but a steady heal to port. Skies - partly cloudy, temp. about 70 F.

We sailed off the anchor leaving the old harbour in Mazatlan, sailing straight through the jetties, passing two incoming ships; one local charter boat and one local Stone Island tour boat, with everyone waving as we passed.

The crew of s/v Momo gave us a warm send-off, with a surprise bag of gifts to be opened at sea, each labeled with the day number of the crossing, (day 1, day 5, day 14, etc.) What a thoughtful and welcome gesture. The crews of s/v Masquerade and one other boat in the anchorage were also nearby in their dinghies, and wished us well.

That's all for now, as I need to get back up in the cockpit in the fresh air. Too much time down below, and I get a little woozy, unless I'm asleep.

We are fine and hope you are too. Til next time,

fair winds, crew of s/v Radiance
Comments
Vessel Name: Radiance
Vessel Make/Model: Tayana 37
Hailing Port: Tacoma, Washington USA
About: Steen, Angela and Malou Brochner-Nielsen
Extra: A small family taking one step at a time, making their way around the world aboard their Tayana 37.
Home Page: http://www.svradiance.com

Radiance

Port: Tacoma, Washington USA
www.heifer.org