Radiance

Port: Tacoma, Washington USA
www.heifer.org
05 January 2012
12 August 2011 | Brisbane
20 June 2011
28 August 2010
07 January 2010 | Denmark
07 January 2010 | Denmark
23 December 2009
20 December 2009 | Farum, DK
26 November 2009
31 October 2009
31 October 2009
31 October 2009
31 October 2009
05 July 2009
05 July 2009 | The farm in Denmark
26 May 2009 | Denmark

NEW ZEALAND!!!

22 November 2007 | Opua, Bay of Islands
Angela and Steen
Team Radiance has FINALLY made it to New Zealand!

We arrived the night before last. Wednesday?

If you want to see a lot of happy people, go to Opua. NZ. This is where cruisers converge and reunite after taking various routes through the South Pacific. Some folks we haven't seen since Bora Bora, some not since the Marqueses, and some we've never seen, only spoken to on the radio. This year, the fleet is even happier to be here because many of the boats were caught in a low pressure system en route, (not us), and the trip that should have taken only 8 or 10 days, took eighteen. Radiance didn't have any bad weather, but we sure had a long trip, pounding the bow into steep swell, beating our way against constant headwinds, and heeling over so much that we had our caprail in the water practically the whole way; not a comfortable way to sail. Had we eased up on the sheets and the heeling, we would have missed NZ entirely and ended up far west in Australia. (not a bad place to go, but our cruising friends were all in NZ.)

Steen had fun with the calculator and estimated that since we crashed into a wave every seven seconds Radiance passed over (or sometimes through) 108,000 waves, in the 10-days we were beating into the wind. Every seven wave dumped an average 10 gallon of the Pacific on her deck; that's 154,000 gallons.

New Zealand is amazing and we are so happy to be here. The beauty is similar to the Northwest Pacific (San Juan Islands), but add green rolling hills and spectacular rock outcroppings, and the people are the friendliest, most easygoing folks you could ever meet.

We'll write more later. We have to go catch the daily shuttle to town. Be back later today.

Happy Thanksgiving America!

Radiance
Comments
Vessel Name: Radiance
Vessel Make/Model: Tayana 37
Hailing Port: Tacoma, Washington USA
About: Steen, Angela and Malou Brochner-Nielsen
Extra: A small family taking one step at a time, making their way around the world aboard their Tayana 37.
Home Page: http://www.svradiance.com

Radiance

Port: Tacoma, Washington USA
www.heifer.org