Radiance

Port: Tacoma, Washington USA
www.heifer.org
05 January 2012
12 August 2011 | Brisbane
20 June 2011
28 August 2010
07 January 2010 | Denmark
07 January 2010 | Denmark
23 December 2009
20 December 2009 | Farum, DK
26 November 2009
31 October 2009
31 October 2009
31 October 2009
31 October 2009
05 July 2009
05 July 2009 | The farm in Denmark
26 May 2009 | Denmark

The gale made me think of something.

10 December 2007
Steen
Tonight, we heard on the radio that a retired couple we meet in French Polynesia was sailing into New Zealand after what must have been some cold, wet and bumpy days at sea during this 6-day gale we have had. Since boats are still coming in from Fiji and Tonga, I got to thinking about the retired sailors in the fleet; (retired couples make up a large portion of the fleet). They often ask us, "how is it cruising with Malou?" meaning "isn't it difficult?". Yes it is, especially for us, who would probably have a hard time with a 3-year old on land. I often wonder, and would like to ask, seriously, not patronizingly, "how is it cruising in your 60s?", but we would probably never ask that. Cruising can be pretty strenuous sometimes and often wears us out. But, then again, 'what wears people out faster'? - having a three year old, or cruising as a pensioner? You see parents with young children cruising and you see retired 'grandparents' cruising who are missing their grandchildren, but you never see grandparents cruising WITH their grandchildren...There is probably a good reason for that.

..The funny thing is that both we and the pensioners see each other in the same light. They may see cruising with a 3-year old as the sum of the efforts they put into sailing a boat plus the effort of raising a child. We, on the other hand try to imagine what it would be like to do what we are doing if we were 30-years older. That is why you don't see grandparents cruising with their young grandchildren. At least we haven't.

One can make all kinds of assumptions on when the best time to 'go cruising' is. We decided to make it happen and 'go' now, but we were lucky that nothing got in the way. If asked to answer the question of timing in a brief and general way, I would say "go" when you have the chance, you may not get another one. As far as how much it is going to cost, it will cost whatever you have. And you will most likely not stop cruising because you run out of money, but for some other good reason that turns your life in a new direction.

But, of course don't take my word for it, I am only the captain of this ship.

-Steen
Comments
Vessel Name: Radiance
Vessel Make/Model: Tayana 37
Hailing Port: Tacoma, Washington USA
About: Steen, Angela and Malou Brochner-Nielsen
Extra: A small family taking one step at a time, making their way around the world aboard their Tayana 37.
Home Page: http://www.svradiance.com

Radiance

Port: Tacoma, Washington USA
www.heifer.org