RAFIKI

2014 Journey South

24 April 2015 | Fishing Bay, near Deltaville, DE
23 April 2015 | Norfolk, VA to Fishing Bay, VA
22 April 2015 | Coinjock NC to Norfolk VA
21 April 2015 | Alligator River to Coinjock, NC
20 April 2015 | Dowry Creek Marina NC to Alligator Rivet Marin, NC.
19 April 2015 | River Dunes Marina, Near Oriental to Upper Dowry Creek Marina, NC
18 April 2015 | Mile Hammock Bay NC to Oriental NC
17 April 2015 | Southport, NC to Mile Hammock Bay, NC
16 April 2015 | Osprey Marina,SC to Southport, NC
15 April 2015 | Georgetown to Osprey Marina, SCnear Myrtle Beach.
14 April 2015 | McClellanville to Georgetown
13 April 2015 | Charleston to McClellanville
12 April 2015 | Philadelphia to Charleston
27 February 2015 | Charleston, SC to PA via Vieginia Beach, VA
22 February 2015 | Charleston, SC
20 February 2015 | Charleston, SC
18 February 2015 | Charleston, SC
17 February 2015 | Charleston, SC
13 February 2015 | Charleston, SC.

Downtown - a bit of culture!

20 February 2015 | Charleston, SC
Ros, Brass Monkey Weather
It's Friday and we survived a really cold night on Rafiki. We planned a trip into town today to visit the An art gallery, a secondhand bookshop and have some lunch. First, however we discovered our TV cable had broken and so "over the bridge" we went to source another one. We had bought a video cable before Christmas but only installed it last Sunday to see Downton Abbey! We get a much better cable picture (and Public TV) than with our antenna on the mast top and we are not inclined to go ashore on these cold evenings so we are enjoying the entertainment.

It was sunny and clear today and felt warmer than the 32F, which we had yesterday as well, because the wind had dropped. We parked in town eventually, we should have walked it would have been easier and better for us. Husk was fully booked for lunch so we walked a few doors down to Poogan's Porch. We had a short wait and were seated in a very cold dining room. The restaurant is in an old Victorian house and the in wall a/c units were cranked up to 90F but it just was not happening! We had She Crab soup, good flavor but very thick. I had Shrimp and Grits, not the best rendition I have had and Dave had a Short Rib sandwich which he deemed very good, epic, it came with home made chips, always a winner! After lunch we found RLS Gallery - voted best in Charleston several years running. They represent young contemporary artists. We enjoyed the visit, some interesting painting and had a chance to warm up and sit on their large comfy sofas. The planned bookshop visit will have to wait for another day. Altogether a lovely day.

On Thursday it was very cold when we got up. We briefly thought about checking into the hotel next door for the night, it's going down to 20F. Instead we went off to buy the oil filled radiator we had deemed unsuitable last week. Of course there were none left so we bought the last radiant gas heater they had, it has a low oxygen shut off gadget. We then went off to explore North Charleston which is rather more posh than the Johns Island area.

We lunched at Wholefoods, salad, in a wind blown, chilly dining area. They can't deal with this deep chill here at all, some of the people we saw out and about did not have winter coats. After lunch we decided to go to the movies which we did after a bit more exploring of Patriots Point and watching a couple of ships heading for port and some youngsters flying kites on the beach at Sullivans Island.

We went to Cinebarre,it was almost empty.. It's a bar/restaurant where you can order food and eat in the dark while you watch the movie! A crazy idea if you ask me. We saw "American Sniper." We both found it a sad story and had us discussing the problems in The Levant.

Once "home" we plugged in the electric fan heater, lit the new gas heater and put a chicken in the oven to roast. It soon became quite toasty! Dinner was very tasty. We slept well, the bed is nice and warm as long as you keep away from the sides of the boat! There is nothing as cold as a fiberglass boat in winter.
Comments
Vessel Name: Rafiki
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau 373
Hailing Port: Wallingford, Pennsylvania
Crew: David & Ros Hall
About: David is a retired maritime consultant and Ros was a realtor and registered nurse.
Extra: Originally from the UK and Ros grew up in Tanganyika. Rafiki is the Swahili word for friend.
Social:

Cruising

Who: David & Ros Hall
Port: Wallingford, Pennsylvania