RAFIKI

2014 Journey South

24 April 2015 | Fishing Bay, near Deltaville, DE
23 April 2015 | Norfolk, VA to Fishing Bay, VA
22 April 2015 | Coinjock NC to Norfolk VA
21 April 2015 | Alligator River to Coinjock, NC
20 April 2015 | Dowry Creek Marina NC to Alligator Rivet Marin, NC.
19 April 2015 | River Dunes Marina, Near Oriental to Upper Dowry Creek Marina, NC
18 April 2015 | Mile Hammock Bay NC to Oriental NC
17 April 2015 | Southport, NC to Mile Hammock Bay, NC
16 April 2015 | Osprey Marina,SC to Southport, NC
15 April 2015 | Georgetown to Osprey Marina, SCnear Myrtle Beach.
14 April 2015 | McClellanville to Georgetown
13 April 2015 | Charleston to McClellanville
12 April 2015 | Philadelphia to Charleston
27 February 2015 | Charleston, SC to PA via Vieginia Beach, VA
22 February 2015 | Charleston, SC
20 February 2015 | Charleston, SC
18 February 2015 | Charleston, SC
17 February 2015 | Charleston, SC
13 February 2015 | Charleston, SC.

Waccamaw, wonderful!

15 April 2015 | Georgetown to Osprey Marina, SCnear Myrtle Beach.
Ros / mild, buckets of rain, becoming cooler58F
Georgetown. Last night we walked around town and had dinner at The River Room. We had a nice meal, oysters and shrimp salad and chatted to another couple of boaters on "Harmony" from Solomons who are also heading north. They were talking about a dragging experience on a prior trip to Georgtown. We've all had those memories in certain locations!

This morning just as we were getting ready to let go the heavens opened so we delayed our start. We had a chance to talk to the owner, a Swede, of a large X yacht called Euphoria, he is heading to Portsmouth VA for the start of the ARC in May to take his boat back across the Atlantic. He will be traveling to Portsmouth "outside" as his mast is too tall for the 65' bridges on the ICW. He will be waiting for good weather. He'll probably beat us to Norfolk though!

We travelled up the beautiful, wild Waccamaw River today. The water is tea colored from the rotting vegetation and we are told it is alligator country but non were sighted. We did see a stunning white bird with a bright yellow beak that looked much like a Heron but is a Great Egret. http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/great_egret/id and what looked like a bald eagle perched high in a dead tree but as it was tipping with rain (yes, buckets of rain again!) it was difficult to be certain. The Cypress trees along the waterway are spectacular it was high water for most of the passage so we did not see the nobly knees, the roots, that stick up from the water. The river begins in wide open marshland with trees along the waterside. You can still see the entrance to irrigation canals that led to the rice fields of the many plantations that used to exist in this area. The main crops of rice and indigo ceased to be grown after the Civil War. The river eventually narrows and becomes quite winding and narrow and a bit confusing because there are many branches and islands and oxbows.

If you care to follow our "spot" track and look on the satellite option you will see we are quite close to the ocean. We passed Pawleys Island today which evoked a happy memory of a family vacation. I saw an old photo in Georgetown which was of a ferry that took black workers from the mills and plantations up the Waccamaw to Pawleys Island where they lived, and read that the plantation owners left the swampy, unhealthy rice plantations for Myrtle Beach for the summer months leaving the workers to take care of the fields.

We decided to pull into Osprey Marina for a short day of travel, tomorrow may be stormy but we plan a short day also.

Bangers and mash tonight with onion and mushroom gravy suitable for a cooler evening. It's about 58F. Good sleeping weather!
Comments
Vessel Name: Rafiki
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau 373
Hailing Port: Wallingford, Pennsylvania
Crew: David & Ros Hall
About: David is a retired maritime consultant and Ros was a realtor and registered nurse.
Extra: Originally from the UK and Ros grew up in Tanganyika. Rafiki is the Swahili word for friend.
Social:

Cruising

Who: David & Ros Hall
Port: Wallingford, Pennsylvania