RAFIKI

2014 Journey South

24 April 2015 | Fishing Bay, near Deltaville, DE
23 April 2015 | Norfolk, VA to Fishing Bay, VA
22 April 2015 | Coinjock NC to Norfolk VA
21 April 2015 | Alligator River to Coinjock, NC
20 April 2015 | Dowry Creek Marina NC to Alligator Rivet Marin, NC.
19 April 2015 | River Dunes Marina, Near Oriental to Upper Dowry Creek Marina, NC
18 April 2015 | Mile Hammock Bay NC to Oriental NC
17 April 2015 | Southport, NC to Mile Hammock Bay, NC
16 April 2015 | Osprey Marina,SC to Southport, NC
15 April 2015 | Georgetown to Osprey Marina, SCnear Myrtle Beach.
14 April 2015 | McClellanville to Georgetown
13 April 2015 | Charleston to McClellanville
12 April 2015 | Philadelphia to Charleston
27 February 2015 | Charleston, SC to PA via Vieginia Beach, VA
22 February 2015 | Charleston, SC
20 February 2015 | Charleston, SC
18 February 2015 | Charleston, SC
17 February 2015 | Charleston, SC
13 February 2015 | Charleston, SC.

Coast Guard Boarding.

19 April 2015 | River Dunes Marina, Near Oriental to Upper Dowry Creek Marina, NC
Ros / Mild, lowering, threatening skys
The forecast for later today did not look very good we had about 45 miles to go and were sure we could make it. We left River Dunes Marina with some regret as it's a lovely
place to stop. We couldn't leave until the staff arrived as we had to pay them. They had had a big wedding yesterday and asked us to wait until this morning as they were very busy.

We scooted up the Neuse River at 7.5 knots with cloudy sky, the current with us and wind from the NE. Into more sheltered Bay River and on to the narrow Hobucken Cut and past the R.E. Mayo shrimp dock with very impressive new shrimp boats tied up alongside. Just after this, at the Coast Guard Station there was a mini cutter and a large RIB full of uniformed people. We slowed for them and then they raced off at great speed. We heard them hailing the motor yacht that had passed us some time before. They asked to board the boat for a safety inspection. They were half way across the Pamlico River before they finished and the RIB roared off past us back to base. The cutter stood in wait for us. We had meanwhile located all our documentation and required safety equipment in anticipation. They let us pass them and then hailed us and asked us when we had last had an inspection and when we told them not recently they then requested a boarding. "How would you like us to board you Captain?" Dave tells them "I don't think this is the best place to do this, but you better just do it". We were told to maintain course an speed and the cutter came alongside. I was happy to see the very large red wrap around fenders on this ugly aluminum craft.
Two officers from USCG (Uncle Sam's Confused Gentlemen as Dave has been known to call them) from Hobucken Station boarded just as we entered Pamilco River. They introduced themselves and and asked for ID and explained that they were doing a safety inspection. Dave told them it was not the safest place to have this type of inspection and underway. We were just exiting a narrow channel into the exposed body of water with a large fetch causing fair sized waves. It is difficult not to feel intruded upon, this is our home and there was no apparent violation of laws, just a presumption that there may be and the possibility of collecting a fine. Also their distracting boarding in a less than an ideal location in less than ideal weather conditions should be rethought. Police would need a warrant ashore to enter your home. However, that is the current law and these chaps were pleasant and respectful and just doing their job. What do you think?
We passed the safety inspection, Dave is a marine person and our safety equipment exceeds requirements. We could not help but feel disturbed by the boarding. This is our home. We were not apparently breaking the law but there was a presumption that we may be and an opportunity for a fine and of course a training exercise for new recruits. The officers were polite and respectful and just doing their job and we had no option but to allow the boarding. If this was onshore the police would require a warrant. What do you feel about this?

The second officer was probably a trainee and he and Ros located all the equipment while the other completed the paperwork and Dave piloted the boat. It was a bit rough out here today. As they were about to disembark the officer asked Dave to turn downwind as the coxswain was fairly new and it would help her to come alongside. He told us she was very good she just needed some more practice. "Not that we are practicing on your boat" he said thoughtfully!

We continued our journey across the Pamlico Sound and up the Pungo River past Bellhaven into Dowry Creek Marina where we were placed in an inside dock because there is not much protection from the north east here and that is where the bad weather is coming from. Within minutes of arriving the wind picked up. This evening the wind is howling and the rain is falling like stair rods and we are bobbing in our slip. There are tornado warnings inland a bit. Kobi Keema for dinner cooked by Ros was tasty. The end of another great day on the water.
Comments
Vessel Name: Rafiki
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau 373
Hailing Port: Wallingford, Pennsylvania
Crew: David & Ros Hall
About: David is a retired maritime consultant and Ros was a realtor and registered nurse.
Extra: Originally from the UK and Ros grew up in Tanganyika. Rafiki is the Swahili word for friend.
Social:

Cruising

Who: David & Ros Hall
Port: Wallingford, Pennsylvania