RAFIKI

2014 Journey South

24 April 2015 | Fishing Bay, near Deltaville, DE
23 April 2015 | Norfolk, VA to Fishing Bay, VA
22 April 2015 | Coinjock NC to Norfolk VA
21 April 2015 | Alligator River to Coinjock, NC
20 April 2015 | Dowry Creek Marina NC to Alligator Rivet Marin, NC.
19 April 2015 | River Dunes Marina, Near Oriental to Upper Dowry Creek Marina, NC
18 April 2015 | Mile Hammock Bay NC to Oriental NC
17 April 2015 | Southport, NC to Mile Hammock Bay, NC
16 April 2015 | Osprey Marina,SC to Southport, NC
15 April 2015 | Georgetown to Osprey Marina, SCnear Myrtle Beach.
14 April 2015 | McClellanville to Georgetown
13 April 2015 | Charleston to McClellanville
12 April 2015 | Philadelphia to Charleston
27 February 2015 | Charleston, SC to PA via Vieginia Beach, VA
22 February 2015 | Charleston, SC
20 February 2015 | Charleston, SC
18 February 2015 | Charleston, SC
17 February 2015 | Charleston, SC
13 February 2015 | Charleston, SC.

Rafiki gets her groove back.

23 April 2015 | Norfolk, VA to Fishing Bay, VA
Ros/ Cool, windy with bright sun.
Well, the forecast for today was not great but we and Pegasus decided to leave as did motor yacht Osprey. The chances of being stuck in Norfolk until Sunday drove that decision. Norfolk on the water is fascinatingly grotesque with so many huge grey Navy ships along the harbor in various states of repair. It is also rather noisy.

We left at 9:10 after a hearty breakfast on board. It look a while to stow all our lines and fenders that we have become used to stowing on deck, rather unseamanlike! Can't do that when you are sailing.

It was an easy transit through the harbour and into Hampton Roads, without too much traffic.

As soon as we were in the Chesapeake we set our sails. Two reefs in the main and the jib deeply reefed. The seas were 4-5 feet and fairly short and choppy. The wind was 18 knots gusting to 26 knots on a close reach. The wind gods could have been kinder and let us get our groove back! Rafik was in her element she took it all well, tired of being a motorboat she romped away at 6-7 knots. We had a short period where the wind ceased altogether and then came roaring back. It was a fast run to the Piankatank but a long day and we had a good workout!

We are anchored in Fishing Bay this is, some of you may recall, where I left my appendix in October!

We will have dinner on board tonight. It was cool today, I had my winter jacket on all day and I have just dug out another blanket.

We will have to watch the weather for the next couple of days.
Comments
Vessel Name: Rafiki
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau 373
Hailing Port: Wallingford, Pennsylvania
Crew: David & Ros Hall
About: David is a retired maritime consultant and Ros was a realtor and registered nurse.
Extra: Originally from the UK and Ros grew up in Tanganyika. Rafiki is the Swahili word for friend.
Social:

Cruising

Who: David & Ros Hall
Port: Wallingford, Pennsylvania