S/V Rainbowrider

24 February 2009 | Cartagena, Columbia
20 February 2009 | Columbia
19 February 2009 | Aruba
18 February 2009 | Aruba
17 February 2009 | Couracao
15 February 2009 | Aruba
08 February 2009 | Spanish Waters Curacao
08 February 2009 | Bonaire and Curacao
13 January 2009 | Bonaire
10 January 2009 | Bonaire and Curacao
08 January 2009 | Spanish Waters Curacao
20 December 2008 | Bonaire
24 November 2008 | Bonaire
24 November 2008 | Las Aves de Barlavento
19 October 2008 | Marina Bahia Redonda Puerto la Cruz
09 September 2008 | Las Aves de Barlavento
08 September 2008 | Las Aves de Barlavento
06 September 2008 | Las Aves de Barlavento
06 September 2008 | Las Aves de Barlavento
06 September 2008 | Los Roques

headin' back to PLC

09 September 2008 | Las Aves de Barlavento
pilott / clear and breezy
It's hard to get your head around the need to return to the marina when you're in aplace like this. So what if hurricane season is arriving? I'd rather just stay here. Of course, one must eventually concede the necessity of returning to the safety of the marina for a while. So, we will make the trip back to PLC with MiLady while our other friends continue on to Bonaire and Curacao. We have decided to make a run back to the mainland coast south of the Aves and then turn east and go into Carenero for a day or two before continuing on to PLC. The overnighter was ok once we fell off the wind about 25 degrees and were able to sail all the way in to the coast. As dawn broke over the coast we turned east and fired up the iron jenny and dropped the sails as we were now headed directly into what little wind there was. A couple of hours later we rounded Cabo Codera in a flat calm and turned south for Carenero. Now this is a cape they warn you about and tell you you must make it around in the early morning to avoid the really rough seas blown up later in the day. We went around the corner in a dead calm at about 9:30 am. Guess the gods were watching over us that day. About an hour later we were entering the river that leads to the anchorage at Carenero. There are no public docks at Carenero, only those at the private clubs, Bahia de Las Piratas and The Carenero Yacht club. I would like to mention the warm and friendly welcome we recieved at Bahia de Las Piratas. We anchored a short distance off their dock at their request as a safety precaution. They offered us the use of all their facilities, from swimming pool to fuel dock. They could not have been more helpful or gracious hosts. We stayed overnite and thru the next day, filling our fuel tanks and preparing for the last 90 mile overnite run to PLC. Below is a picture from our stern leaving Carenero at sunset.
Comments
Vessel Name: Rainbowrider
Vessel Make/Model: Lagoon 410 catamaran
Hailing Port: Corpus Christi, Tx
Crew: Gary and Linda Lott
About: One retired fire pilot and one semi-retired RN. Off to see the wizard or whatever adventure comes along first. Do it till it isn't fun anymore.
Extra: Point the pointy end downwind and go for it.
These are stories of the travels of Rainbowrider and her intrepid crew We have been out for almost 4 years now and will remain out here until it's no longer fun. We have found a community of boaters and friends who will always come to the rescue if needed. Otherwise they will just be there to help with whatever you may need help with. When help is not needed they will leave you in peace with the sure and certain knowledge that assistance is only a radio call away