S/V Rainbowrider

24 February 2009 | Cartagena, Columbia
20 February 2009 | Columbia
19 February 2009 | Aruba
18 February 2009 | Aruba
17 February 2009 | Couracao
15 February 2009 | Aruba
08 February 2009 | Spanish Waters Curacao
08 February 2009 | Bonaire and Curacao
13 January 2009 | Bonaire
10 January 2009 | Bonaire and Curacao
08 January 2009 | Spanish Waters Curacao
20 December 2008 | Bonaire
24 November 2008 | Bonaire
24 November 2008 | Las Aves de Barlavento
19 October 2008 | Marina Bahia Redonda Puerto la Cruz
09 September 2008 | Las Aves de Barlavento
08 September 2008 | Las Aves de Barlavento
06 September 2008 | Las Aves de Barlavento
06 September 2008 | Las Aves de Barlavento
06 September 2008 | Los Roques

Going West

24 November 2008 | Las Aves de Barlavento
pilott clear and breezy
Well, here we are in the Aves again and probably for the last time. We are anchored in hole #3 behind Isla Sur. Dragonfly is anchored close by and we are back in paradise again. Tomorrow Jeff and I will start to hunt as the girls snorkel the reefs for the pleasure of it. The Schoolmaster snapper are every where and they are delicious. There are also large numbers of a fish I refer to as sand perch. Very tasty little rascals. The idea is to take only that which you can eat fresh daily. The same goes for lobster. There are only a few boats here and that's nice. It makes it possible to play naked without offending anyone. We have decided to move the boats out to the main reef to be closer to the best fishing. It will only take about a half hour to move and anchor out there. This is great, the reef is about 100 ft behind us and the water is crystal clear and the coral is full of snapper. I could stay here for months if they'd let me. However, since we are already checked out of Venezuela about the best we can do is 4 weeks. Today I've been chasing this big snapper, about 10 lbs, and he keeps running me in circles between 2 patches of coral. I noticed on the last go round that there is a hole thru the coral at one spot where he likes to hold up. So as he heads around the end of the patch I head to the other end where I can look thru and see his favorite hiding spot. I ease the gun into the hole and sure enough he cruises by like always, except this time: whack! Dinner is served!!!!! God I love this. Just a natural born hunter/gatherer. So, this is how our days go. Diving and hunting for dinner, then a cold beer to wash away the salt taste. Back to the boat for a nap, then off to a friends boat for dinner. There is no ambient light here at all so when the stars come out they fill the sky in numbers never seen near cities and civilization. Take a toddy out to the bow and lay back and marvel at the night sky. This is the ultimate light show!
Comments
Vessel Name: Rainbowrider
Vessel Make/Model: Lagoon 410 catamaran
Hailing Port: Corpus Christi, Tx
Crew: Gary and Linda Lott
About: One retired fire pilot and one semi-retired RN. Off to see the wizard or whatever adventure comes along first. Do it till it isn't fun anymore.
Extra: Point the pointy end downwind and go for it.
These are stories of the travels of Rainbowrider and her intrepid crew We have been out for almost 4 years now and will remain out here until it's no longer fun. We have found a community of boaters and friends who will always come to the rescue if needed. Otherwise they will just be there to help with whatever you may need help with. When help is not needed they will leave you in peace with the sure and certain knowledge that assistance is only a radio call away