Raynad

Vessel Name: SV Raynad
Vessel Make/Model: 14.8m Roger Hill Pilothouse Cutter
Hailing Port: Glasgow
Crew: John & Kristy Totten
10 July 2010 | Nuku'Alofa - Tonga
Recent Blog Posts
10 July 2010 | Nuku'Alofa - Tonga

Paradise

Paradise !

Paradise

10 July 2010 | Nuku'Alofa - Tonga
Paradise !

At least - that's the dream. John gets an infinite list of To-Do's and Kris gets to read, snorkle and try to find shade!

Setting of from Auckland, NZ on June 11th in confused seas and 35knot winds, we at last settled onto a superb broadreach with Raynad sailing us safely along at speeds up to 12knots, but averaging about 10. We arrived safely into Nuku'Alofa after 7days.

John and I have enjoyed the relaxed hospitality of Big Mama on Pangaimotu Island. We've spent the past 3 weeks anchored near this island taking the dingy back and forth into town. Highlights have included attending the King's Church and hearing the amazing choir and brass orchestra, not to mention the fabulous harmonies created by all of the voices raised in the congregation. The entire church vibrated the holiness of the experience- truly remarkable. In contrast, we also attended a night of the Miss Galaxy Pageant, a competition of men dressed elaborately as ladies! Their costumes were really something to see. First red ballgown, then costumes of their own creation, followed by recycled costumes. These "Ladies" must have spent a huge amount of time on their outfits, and that was only the first night of 3.

Now we await for weather that will allow us to sail up to the Ha'Apai Island and enjoy the lovely beaches and coral reefs they are reknowned for.
Comments

About & Links