Realtime Journeys

In 2011 Bob and Karyn Packard sailed the Sea Of Cortez, and, Mexico, then through all the South Pacific island groups, and finally to New Zealand. 2014 started their ashore phase, caring for homes & pets worldwide.

10 November 2015 | Grass Valley, California
10 September 2015 | Long Beach, California
21 July 2015 | Long Beach, California
29 May 2015 | Asheville, North Carolina
16 March 2015 | Village of Manley outside of Chester
10 February 2015 | Village of Staple outside of Canterbury
20 January 2015 | Brighstone
13 December 2014 | Colne Engaine, Essex UK
27 November 2014 | New York City - Queens
13 October 2014 | South Australia
19 September 2014 | Adelaide Hills, AU
01 September 2014 | Outside of Melbourne, Australia
13 August 2014
31 July 2014 | New Zealand
02 June 2014 | Bundaberg, Australia
18 May 2014 | on the Burnett River
24 April 2014 | Bundaberg, Australia
20 April 2014 | Bundaberg

Back North in the Sea for the Summer

24 May 2012 | Costa Baja Marina, La Paz
Bob / Hot and Dry; Light Breeze
The re-insulation project on our refrigeration, that we were afraid would never end, finally did. But it was a narrow victory, as the carpenter who had been "guiding" us throughout the project suffered two broken fingers and almost lost his thumb in a bloody table saw accident the evening before the delicate final installation of the teak bulkhead, Formica, hatches and lids. We thought for sure that we would suffer another lengthy delay that might even jeopardize exiting hurricane country before our insurance company's deadline. But good fortune smiled upon us and we found Javier and Victor just down the dock, and they agreed to interrupt their current work to get us finished up. Their work was superb and timely, and we were finally able to rid the companionway of Styrofoam coolers, which had been our "refrigerators" for two months and permanently make up our berth. We made our COSTCO visits and loaded up - then untied the docklines and ventured forth.

We were heading for La Paz, and winds looked accommodating, so we wasted no time, departing Banderas Bay and motoring to Isla Isabel (of blue-footed booby fame) to anchor for the night. After catching up on our sleep, we sailed northwest for La Paz early the next morning. To make things interesting as we motored at 5 knots, we put out a hand line and trolled all day. Alas no luck! The next day we tried again with a different lure - this time we set out two hand lines. We were trying to do things just like Bill Craig had recently taught us and were using his personal lure creations. Just as we were beginning to lose hope, Karyn's line was hit by a monstrous 24-inch mahi mahi. It was a difficult fight, but eventually I was able to bring him alongside. Karyn handed me the gaff, and I landed him on the side deck, where she really showed the fisherman spirit by cleaning and filleting the little critter and placing the beautiful tender, juicy meat in the freezer to keep it fresh. About two hours later, Karyn prepared a sumptuous fish dinner, which we ate at the cockpit table. What a life!

We enjoyed varying mild conditions the rest of the way (all told, about 350 miles), often motoring to keep moving, but sailing a lot of the way, too. Winds from the SW and West were often enough to push us up to 7 knots or better. We had a bit of a problem Friday evening: I came off watch and was looking forward to 3 solid hours of sleep, but Karyn reported that the jib would not completely furl. I wanted to show her the advantages of superior strength, but found that I could do no better than she. So I grabbed my tools, determined to show her the effectiveness of more adroit methods. Interestingly, there was a bird perched just ahead of the furling drum, a beautiful yellow-footed booby. I was careful not to disturb him as I went to my knees at the foot of the furler, a mere three feet aft of the cute little guy. But I was wearing my headlight, and the booby noticed me right away, turning his head and neck around 180 degrees to see what I was up to. He was totally unfazed by my presence - perhaps he was impressed with my considerable skills. At any rate, I became convinced that we were enjoying a brief inter-species communion - a wonderful opportunity. Just about then, I heard a loud "SPLOUSHHHHH!" and felt a very warm wetness all over my left leg and a splattering of brown and white bird xxxx that left Realtime's bow very much altered. Unable to see what had transpired, Karyn became alarmed at my agitation, loud yelling, and boorish anti-bird gesticulations. But soon I was able to finish the task at hand, and when I returned to the cockpit she saw what I was yelling about and helped me clean up. So much for communing with nature!

One more day, and we were heading into La Paz again - a little warmer than we left it last November. We pulled into the Costa Baja Marina and tied up. We knew that we were going to be comfortable. It is a beautiful place. Check out the gallery to see it. There is no humidity here to mention, and the heat is tolerable, using awnings and lots of beautiful desert scenery. There is an infinity pool for the hottest part of the day. A base for the summer, as we explore the islands and coves of the Sea of Cortez!
Comments
Vessel Name: Realtime
Vessel Make/Model: Norseman 447
Hailing Port: Long Beach
Crew: Bob and Karyn Packard
About: Bob and Karyn departed the security of Long Beach on 10/20/2011 for extended cruising in Mexico and the South Pacific. Although no longer at sea, they have not returned home: they are now traveling and house-sitting from wherever the invitation comes.
Extra:
Bob and Karyn retired from their jobs at the end of April/2011. They have extensively cruised Mexico and the Sea of Cortez. They have sailed extensively in the South Pacific, arriving in New Zealand in November 2013, where a new phase began. Having put Realtime up for sale, Karyn and Bob are now [...]
Social:
Realtime's Photos - Main
14 day cruise on the Adriatic, including Venice, Dubrovnik, Split, Athens, Corfu, Kusadasi, Ephesus, Mykonos, Santorini, and Olympia. 2 weeks in the French region of Gascony, beginning of 21st house sit in Grass Valley, CA on a 200 acre ranch.
84 Photos
Created 10 November 2015
Time to visit friends and family in the area.
26 Photos
Created 10 September 2015
We leave our housesit in Asheville, North Carolina, go to Las Vegas to see Jacquelyn and family and begin our time back in Long Beach and the Gidley's home.
21 Photos
Created 21 July 2015
First reunion of Bob's Basic School in the Marines. All these guys went to Vietnam at the same time. Then on to our beautiful Blue Ridge Mountain home outside of Asheville, North Carolina with pets Tucker, Luna, Lily and Peanut.
65 Photos
Created 29 May 2015
Our last house sit in England and the first as we return to the US
45 Photos
Created 25 April 2015
Canterbury, Staple,Oxford, Cotswalds, Stratford on Avon, Chester,Manley
57 Photos
Created 16 March 2015
Isle of Wight, Portsmouth, Salisbury, Stonehenge, Sarum, Bath, London and Canterbury
49 Photos
Created 10 February 2015
10 Photos
Created 20 January 2015
our first house sit in the United Kingdom
47 Photos
Created 20 January 2015
Trip from Budapest to Nuremberg and first UK house sit in Colne Engaine, Essex
74 Photos
Created 13 December 2014
October/November trip to family and friends including a house sit in Queens New York
42 Photos
Created 27 November 2014
the beautiful Adelaide Hills in the spring
30 Photos
Created 13 October 2014
Lenswood Township
22 Photos
Created 19 September 2014
Suburb of Melbourne, Australia
30 Photos
Created 1 September 2014
House sitting on the North Island of New Zealand in the Bay of Islands
63 Photos
Created 31 July 2014
House sitting on North Island of New Zealand
32 Photos
Created 5 July 2014
Leaving beautiful Bundaberg, Au. and returning to Martinborough, NZ
32 Photos
Created 2 June 2014
Last pictures of our property on the Burnett River outside of Bundaberg, Australia
No Photos
Created 2 June 2014
2nd house sit in Bundaberg
14 Photos
Created 18 May 2014
National observance of Australia's part in WW I
17 Photos
Created 25 April 2014
8 Photos
Created 20 April 2014
Three days between house sits in Australia
14 Photos
Created 20 April 2014
house sit on Lake Chapala in the province of Jalisco. Mexico
31 Photos
Created 1 April 2014
We visit family and friends in Nevada and California an set up house sitting in Lake Chapala, Mexico
50 Photos
Created 28 February 2014
13 Photos
Created 26 December 2013
housesitting in Wellington
13 Photos
Created 11 December 2013
crossing from New Caledonia to New Zealand
19 Photos
Created 25 November 2013
City, Botanical Gardens, Archaeological Museums, Zoo, Aquarium, Market
19 Photos
Created 10 November 2013
taking a tour of the 1903 sugar mill still exporting sugar today
8 Photos
Created 23 October 2013
5 Photos
Created 23 October 2013
No Photos
Created 23 October 2013
9 Photos
Created 17 October 2013
Resort on the spot where Fijians first landed on this island
8 Photos
Created 16 October 2013
22 Photos
Created 16 October 2013
15 Photos
Created 16 October 2013
14 Photos
Created 24 September 2013
6 Photos
Created 24 September 2013
10 Photos
Created 24 September 2013
21 Photos
Created 24 September 2013
8 Photos
Created 24 September 2013
town, harbor, market, Polynesian Voyaging Canoe
8 Photos
Created 24 September 2013
northern end of the Tongan Islands
45 Photos
Created 15 August 2013
Friendly people and mail!
11 Photos
Created 15 August 2013
Island in the northern Cooks
13 Photos
Created 15 August 2013
Mo'orea, Huahine, Raiatea, and Bora Bora
42 Photos
Created 9 July 2013
25 Photos
Created 26 May 2013
The Tuamotos
10 Photos
Created 13 May 2013
Wonderful little day trip
18 Photos
Created 13 May 2013
North side of Nuku Hiva
26 Photos
Created 13 May 2013
To the port where the supply ship Aranui delivers supplies. We need some
9 Photos
Created 13 May 2013
A stop on the way to Nuku Hiva
1 Photo
Created 13 May 2013
Beautiful spires and people await us
26 Photos
Created 13 May 2013
The Marquesas
20 Photos
Created 13 May 2013
20 Photos
Created 13 May 2013
Activities in preparation for sailing across the Pacific Ocean to The Marquesas and point beyond.
34 Photos
Created 20 March 2013
Returning to see more of Mexico and prepare for the Puddle Jump
28 Photos
Created 15 February 2013
Last weeks in Mazatlan and down the coast to Banderas Bay
45 Photos
Created 25 January 2013
Matzatlan, holidays, hauling out in boat yard
23 Photos
Created 2 January 2013
Back to Mazatlan after over a year to reconnect with old friends.
4 Photos
Created 2 December 2012
Wrapping up our Sea of Cortez adventure
37 Photos
Created 2 December 2012
The return trip from Santa Rosalia south to Marina Palmira
23 Photos
Created 15 November 2012
anchorage hopping north in the Sea of Cortez
38 Photos
Created 2 November 2012
returning to La Paz and Costa Baja Marina
20 Photos
Created 18 October 2012
Last of the season in La Paz
22 Photos
Created 13 July 2012
June trip to the southern Sea of Cortez
75 Photos
Created 16 June 2012
Leaving Puerto Vallarta. Passage to Costa Baha Marina in La Paz
22 Photos
Created 26 May 2012
Sayulita, Puerto Vallarta, and San Sebastian
46 Photos
Created 6 May 2012
Puerto Vallarta
19 Photos
Created 27 April 2012
Visit Mary Beth in Florida and Jacquelyn in Las Vegas
17 Photos
Created 9 April 2012
The president and boat repairs
13 Photos
Created 19 March 2012
artifacts and paintings from Hidalgo Museum
8 Photos
Created 1 March 2012
many stops in between
61 Photos
Created 27 February 2012
morning departure
8 Photos
Created 19 February 2012
Carol and I explore the mangroves
2 Photos
Created 19 February 2012
We finally leave Puerto Vallarta for points south
18 Photos
Created 18 February 2012
portlights, turtle release, walk in town
18 Photos
Created 7 February 2012
38 Photos
Created 29 January 2012
18 Photos
Created 29 January 2012
18 Photos
Created 23 January 2012
9 Photos
Created 16 January 2012
8 Photos
Created 12 January 2012
12 Photos
Created 11 January 2012
16 Photos
Created 10 January 2012
16 Photos
Created 10 January 2012
12 Photos
Created 1 January 2012
Christmas Eve to New Years with Matt in Matzatlan
6 Photos
Created 1 January 2012
Matt comes to visit for Christmas
12 Photos
Created 24 December 2011
11 Photos
Created 24 December 2011
South on the Sea of Cortez to Pacific Mexico
6 Photos
Created 24 December 2011
Los Mochis and Topolobampo
6 Photos
Created 14 December 2011
leaving Topolobampo for El Fuerte and on to the Copper Canyon
24 Photos
Created 14 December 2011
17 Photos
Created 6 December 2011
Dinner the last night before leaving La Paz
6 Photos
Created 6 December 2011
crossing the sea of cortez
4 Photos
Created 6 December 2011
Guests of Boren's, SS, shopping, marina
10 Photos
Created 2 December 2011
We drive from La Paz to Loreto and back in one day
19 Photos
Created 25 November 2011
A walking tour
12 Photos
Created 25 November 2011
We spend some time at La Paz in marina de la Paz
11 Photos
Created 16 November 2011
6 Photos
Created 13 November 2011
Leaving Cabo San Lucas for Los Frailes
6 Photos
Created 13 November 2011
sailing to Cabo San Lucas and the final event
49 Photos
Created 9 November 2011
Leaving Turtle Bay for a 2 day trip to Bahia Santa Maria
63 Photos
Created 9 November 2011
Our first anchorage on the Baha Haha is Turtle Bay
39 Photos
Created 9 November 2011
First day at sea on the way to Bahia Santa Maria
24 Photos
Created 9 November 2011
Leaving San Diego with 160 other boats
24 Photos
Created 9 November 2011
Last minute preparation for our leave-taking
13 Photos
Created 8 November 2011
First day of cruising Goodbye to Long Beach
24 Photos
Created 21 October 2011
Some pictures of our preparation
26 Photos
Created 19 October 2011
We hope you've enjoyed the posts we have assembled and provided for you. Please comment and tell us your reactions. Bob & Karyn