Rhodes Bounty II Refit

26 July 2012 | Olympia, WA
26 July 2012 | Olympia, WA
25 July 2012 | Port Townsend
25 July 2012 | Port Townsend, WA
24 July 2012 | Port Townsend, WA
15 November 2011 | Port Townsend
26 August 2011 | Pleasant Harbor, Hood Canal, WA
09 August 2011 | Port Townsend, WA
09 August 2011 | Watmough Bay, Lopez Island, WA
09 August 2011 | Olympia
04 December 2008 | Hood Canal
31 October 2007 | Olympia, WA

Red Devil 2009-10 haul-out: the mast

09 August 2011 | Olympia
Jon
Red Devil turned 50 in 2010 and for her birthday, she got a number of repairs and upgrades. Foremost, we unstepped the mast, stripped her down and built her up again with all new gear from headbox to mast step. The old bolted on mast cap was in bad shape, so a new one was welded to the top to be more secure. Added some nice new gear that has been waiting in the basement for just this occasion: new Garmin high-def radar, wind sensor (barometric pressure and air temp included), LED anchor/tri-color with strobe (for emergencies). The wood spreaders were fine but needed a new coat of paint. Replaced the old style bronze mainsail track with Strong Track. I highly recommend this upgrade if your sail requires a lot of strength to hoist. It is made of low-friction UHMW-PE plastic and makes hoisting a breeze. I can pull the sail to the top of the mast by hand and need the winch only for tension. I ended up buying a new Lewmar self-tailing winch for hoisting the sail, which also eases handling (I had not inteded to buy the new winch, but I will write about losing some hardware at the boat yard later). Added T-track and a block/pulley system to the forward face of the mast to accomodate easy storage and deployment of the whisker pole. The last major addition was a new track for the sliding gooseneck (another frustrating boatyard experience...more later). Sorry that the picture does not show much detail. I have better pics and will find them.
Comments
Vessel Name: Red Devil
Vessel Make/Model: Rhodes Bounty II
Hailing Port: Olympia, WA
Crew: Jon and Cindy Adkins