Regenero's Great Escape

06 February 2016 | Francis Bay, St John, USVI
31 January 2016 | Privateer Bay, Norman Island
16 January 2016 | Christmas Cove
07 January 2016
30 November 2015 | Puerto Del Rey, Puerto Rico
25 February 2015
04 February 2015
18 January 2015
11 January 2015
01 January 2015
31 December 2014
28 December 2014
18 December 2014
09 December 2014
06 December 2014

A day spent with officials

19 December 2010
Friday, December 17, 2010

This morning we decided to up anchor and head 5 miles north to Hillsborough, the main town in Carricou to check out, then head over to Union Island, the southernmost point in the Grenadines, and begin to explore these beautiful islands. On the way to Hillsborough we past Sandy island...a tiny spit of land just 2.5 miles off the town. It is a beautiful stretch of sandy beach, with a few palm trees and about 20 mooring buoys in front. Looks like a lovely place to stop...but not today. We dropped the anchor in Hillsborough, and immediately see why there are only 6 boats anchored here. The anchorage is VERY rolly and launching the dingy was a comic experience. Almost as good at trying to tie up to the dingy dock in the swell. Fortunately someone was there to give me hand up. After clearing out of customs & immigration we headed the 10 miles across to Union Island. This is a beautiful anchorage tucked behind a reef (very like Marina Key) with a lot of boats in it. Here we begin to experience 'boat boys'. No sooner do we enter the harbor for a look-see and "Budda" wants to help us take a mooring. Because our morning was already stressful and a squall was fast approaching, we agreed and followed him to one near town, then to a second one just behind the reef - great location, although we are now soaking wet. We tied up, then launched the dingy just before the second squall hits...and relax for a few minutes before heading to town to clear in. There are two locations for the process here - one is at the airport which is approximately a 5 minute walk from the dingy dock. For those of you who have flown into Beef Island, Tortola - let me tell you this airport makes Beef Island look like O'hare. There were goats and sheep grazing outside the airstrip fence, and the runway had painted arrows pointing in the direction to land (toward the water, of course). There were 3 airline counters, one right next to each other (no airlines I recognized), and I am not sure I saw a gate. There were approximately 10 chairs scattered around with a handful of people waiting. To check in, we needed to go thru the arrivals gate (you know the one that says no entry) to the customs desk/table where the customs officer is napping. I tried to make a lot of noise and look away till he woke up. However, everyone is very friendly and helpful and the process was very painless.

As for the 'boat boys, these are not boys, rather men who make a living hawking everything cruisers might need. Moorings, fuel, ice, water taxi service, fish, lobsters, etc, etc. We heard they could be a problem, but have not found this to be the case at all, rather the opposite. They are helpful and friendly, and will take "no thanks" for an answer.

Just as we collected the mooring, we looked behind us and saw Breezing Up (friends we met in Trinidad) pulling in. They anchored just off to our starboard aft, so on our way to customs we stopped by to say hello and make plans to stop by for sundowners after 5. Island Time, our friends who went cruising Way before us told us this is one of the most fun parts of cruising, and we heartily agree. You never know who you might see where again.

After clearing in was complete, we took a walk thru town to get a Grenadines SIM card, and pick up some bread and veggies at the market. This is a beautiful harbor town, very small, not more than 6 blocks thru the downtown with a town square surrounded by vendors. I finally tried one of the common roadside foods here, roasted corn, which I have been dying to eat since I saw (and smelled) the first vendor in Grenada. They have the shucked corn roasting over a grill of coals so the kernels are just browned...sounds delicious doesn't it? Well it wasn't...either the ear I got had been there a while (like a week) or I am too spoiled by living in the corn belt and expected sweet, soft corn. This was neither sweet nor soft - and all I can say is I am glad I tried it...I don't have to do that again@!

I went for a snorkel (finally) on the reef, and saw a few small fish, but as everyone tells me...Tobago Cays is where it's all at. We plan to stay here for two nights and leave Sunday (weather permitting) to head up that way..all 9 miles of it.

At 5pm we went to visit BreezingUP and had a lovely time sharing stories, cruising plans & information. The wind is fresh, but as we are tucked behind the reef, the seas are flat. So after 2 anchorings, 2 sets of Customs & Immigration and 4 dingy launches/tie-ups we are ready for a good night's sleep and a restful Saturday.
Comments
Vessel Name: Regenero
Vessel Make/Model: Lagoon 41 S2
Hailing Port: Chicago, IL
Crew: Jim & Karen Doyle
About:
Jim retired from the legal field but continues to lecture and teach as an adjunct professor at several Universities both in Illinois and as well as a US MBA program in Eastern Europe. Karen is currently on hiatus from her job. [...]

Who: Jim & Karen Doyle
Port: Chicago, IL