Regenero's Great Escape

06 February 2016 | Francis Bay, St John, USVI
31 January 2016 | Privateer Bay, Norman Island
16 January 2016 | Christmas Cove
07 January 2016
30 November 2015 | Puerto Del Rey, Puerto Rico
25 February 2015
04 February 2015
18 January 2015
11 January 2015
01 January 2015
31 December 2014
28 December 2014
18 December 2014
09 December 2014
06 December 2014

Heading back South

23 December 2010
Thursday, December 23, 2010

The good news for Wednesday is that the threatening storm mostly dissipated and there is nothing but the usual 'chance of rain - 5 knts enhanced wind in storms' forecast so we look forward to another day enjoying this beautiful place. After waiting for the tide to switch we jumped in and swam all around the boat in the weed beds. We saw several large turtles, one Jim followed along about 5 feet away. Pretty Spectacular!

Weather permitting we made plans for happy hour on the beach with Jost, Arian & Heidi. Around 4:30...just as a spectacular thunderstorm is building to the east, they come over in their dingy and we pile in and head out. Jost wanted to do a dingy test with 5 people...it was close and quite wet, but as it turned out - just fine and we made it to the beach. The threatening storm showed us a gorgeous, double rainbow...a beautiful sight...but also a harbinger of things to come, and shortly it was raining on us. Although not a Midwest thunderstorm, rather a Caribbean one, which put a steady rain out for 5 or 10 minutes, then passed by and it's clear again. Jost and his friends are just wonderful fun people and we are having a GREAT time with them. After the wine was gone, and the sunlight too, we all piled back in the dingy to head back to our boat for more fun. After launching the dingy from the beach...which is an experience NOT for the faint hearted, we need to head into the wind back to where we are anchored. A soaking ride, with Jim and Arian in the front, Heidi and I behind them, and Jost at the helm. Heidi and I spent the entire ride bailing with our cups to just try to keep ahead of the incoming water...laughing the whole ride back. We had snacks and more wine and lots of great stories and laughter on the foredeck while waiting for the moon to rise and peek out of the clouds. Another wonderful night with people who have quickly become friends.

Thursday morning the outgoing tide again wakes us at 4...although the day dawns clearer than yesterday. We listen to the weather report, then up anchor, wave goodbye to our friends, and head out, back to Union Island to clear the Grenadines. About 30 minutes later we drop anchor in Union Island and decide not to drop the dingy, but grab a water taxi to the shore. This is not a formal water taxi...rather a service any of the 'boat boys' will do for you. However since it is early...not too many pass by, and a neighbor on a large Carricou Sailing vessel sees what we are trying to do and helps us flag down a young man in an inflatable dingy, who says he is not a water taxi...but will give us a ride to shore, no problem. So we hop into his dingy, and off we go. After clearing out at the airport we walk back to the dock, and ask around for someone to take us back to the boat...A young man named James says, 'oh yes...the guy said you'd be needing a ride back, I'll take you' and so we hop into his pirogue, but not before he jumps in and tosses 4 lobster crawling in the bottom of the boat back into the stern. What a crazy life.

By 10am we up have the anchor up and a heading out toward Grenada. We set the sails and have about 10 knts from dead behind, so we end up sailing wing on wing for a while until we have to turn south around Carricou. The wind slowly lightens and by the time we have past Carricou, skirted the volcano exclusion zone, and cleared most of the Grenada coast the winds are about 2.5 knts.

We arrive at Port Louis around 4pm, and when I called in to get out slip instructions they tell us we will be Med Mooring. Another First. OK - here we go, we've watched it enough, now we'll be doing it. Two lines on the bow, two on the stern, drive up and hand one bowline to the dockhands in their boat, they run it thru a mooring loop out front of the boat. Hand the other one to them, then wait for them to drop one guy on the dock, while Jim is pivoting the boat and backing it toward the dock, I run back and toss one stern line to the hand, then run forward and check the bow lines that I have to ease out as Jim is backing, run back and toss the other stern line to the dock, run forward again. Easy back and hey...what do you know....we're in! A little finessing and we are tied close enough to jump on and off...but far enough to not bang the dock...perfect.

A swim, a shower and dinner and we are DONE for the day.
Comments
Vessel Name: Regenero
Vessel Make/Model: Lagoon 41 S2
Hailing Port: Chicago, IL
Crew: Jim & Karen Doyle
About:
Jim retired from the legal field but continues to lecture and teach as an adjunct professor at several Universities both in Illinois and as well as a US MBA program in Eastern Europe. Karen is currently on hiatus from her job. [...]

Who: Jim & Karen Doyle
Port: Chicago, IL