Regenero's Great Escape

06 February 2016 | Francis Bay, St John, USVI
31 January 2016 | Privateer Bay, Norman Island
16 January 2016 | Christmas Cove
07 January 2016
30 November 2015 | Puerto Del Rey, Puerto Rico
25 February 2015
04 February 2015
18 January 2015
11 January 2015
01 January 2015
31 December 2014
28 December 2014
18 December 2014
09 December 2014
06 December 2014

The rest of the trip

10 February 2011
Karen
Tuesday, Feb 1st
Today we decide to head to Mayreau, a few miles to the west. Thru the cut and over the other side of the islands we can see the 5 masts of a clipper ship and so we up anchor and cruise out that way for a closer look. We past Walter waiting in his Pirogue and waved goodbye to our friend from the Cays! Then we skimmed around the north end of Mayreau (pronounced my – roo, Not your - roo!) and then south to Saline Bay. We found a lovely wide bay with good sandy holding, and what looks like a great snorkeling spot on the south end. We launched the dingy and headed into town to explore. The dingy dock is ok here, and we go ashore and walk up to town, which is Nearly straight UP! There is a church at the highest point of the island, which the enterprising early priest made sure to build a large water catchment system in order to aid the island. The views from the top are wonderful and you can see the Cays and all the shades of water there so vibrantly. On our way down the hill (a MUCH nicer walk!) we stopped for lunch at Dennis Hideaway and had a very nice (and typically SLOW served) lunch. (Mr. Backseater – eating out here would make YOU Crazy!). one our way back to the boat we stopped and shopped at the ladies roadside stand and I bought a nice top and skirt – typical island attire. Then we headed back to the boat, and strapped on our snorkel gear and were off to discover. For the first time the current was nearly non-existent and so we were able to really relax and take our time in the water. We saw several spotted Moray eels here as well as a balloon fish and many other typical species.

We stopped off also at the beach – which was wide, lovely and deserted. Mayreau rates a hit and must return status in our book!


Wednesday, Feb 2nd
Today we wake to a visit from our friend WALTER, who is usually over at the Cays, but he decided that since he thought we were heading this way, and things were slow in the cays this morning, he would stop over and see if we needed anything. Of course we grabbed some fresh bread from our special friend. We headed out north planning to make Canouan, only about 8 miles from here. We decide to stay at the bay Louise and I saw when kayaking there. It was a bit hard to spot, as it is really not charted, and there were no boats anchored there. Since it doesn’t appear to have a name we dubbed it Karen’s Bay. When we got in we dropped the anchor in clear water about 15 ft deep, then the Admiral hit the water to snorkel the anchor. Even in clear water it is tough to tell the difference between rocks and weed, and unfortunately he discovered we were hooked on a rock, rather than in sand. So we retrieved the anchor while he stayed in the water and reconnoitered a good sandy spot to drop the hook. After anchoring properly in sand we had lunch, then the boys went snorkeling, while the girls broke out the kayak and explored the bay, the cliffs and the small rocky beach.
It was a perfect afternoon and we made the most of it. Only a few other boats came into this spot, and later in the day we discovered why. The winds are light and the water is calm, we don’t get the gusts like on the other side of the bay, but there is a strange swirling current that makes the boats point every which way. Although we were hooked and holding fine, this made for a difficult night sleep for me.

The highlight of this perfect day was the night sky viewing…DARK skies, millions (billions?) of stars and 11 satellites spotted…a boat record for sure.

Thursday, Feb 3rd
Up anchor and away to Bequia. This will be the longest of our Northbound trips this week, and there certainly has been no change to the wind or sea state. So we head out with a reefed main into 8 -12 foot swells and 25-30 kts of breeze. We motor sailed the whole 20 or so miles North, and the only thing I can tell you was that when we got in Jim was exhausted and all I could say was ‘’’that really S@#$*d! Unfortunately it proved a long uncomfortable ride for all of us, however no one got sick and we made it…we are now at Bequia and can relax and enjoy this little jewel of an island.

We went ashore and stopped for lunch at the gingerbread restaurant (next to the snack shoppe) and eventually made it back to the boat for a late, lite supper and an evening of star watching and a few hands of Uno!

Friday Feb 4th
Not moving today so we have a leisurely morning and then the boys went snorkeling while the girls read and relaxed on board. Later we headed to shore to wander the town, and stop at the gingerbread café for some lovely snacks, then back to the boat for the night.


Sat, Feb 5th
After waiting for the Charter boat sitting over our anchor to leave this morning we were able to up our anchor about 9am and head the 10 miles North to St. Vincent where we arrived about 11am. The ride north was bumpy, as usual, but not as bad as Thursday’s trip from Canouan. After about 20 minutes exiting the harbor Jim handed the helm over to the admiral. The seas are easily 6-8 feet so I was a little nervous about this, and send a message with my stern “JIM”. Apparently, that is the same tone used on a day on Lake Michigan when the Admiral was at the helm driving the boat up to Buckingham Fountain. I didn’t remember! But the Admiral got right into the groove and was driving the boat well into the swells and well balanced. I stopped worrying…almost! We called and arranged to take a mooring in Young Island Cut (Mar – we are right outside of the resort –and it is beautiful!) from Sam’s Taxi. What a great company. They sent a guy, Jambo, to help us moor and see to whatever else we needed. He took us to a mooring right up front, and when I asked him where we could tie our dingy, and he said we should leave it in the davits and take the water taxi in instead. I asked him how late he worked, and he told me…not to worry about it, just have a good time.

Well, with that we arranged to have him pick us up in the water taxi, and have a land taxi take us up thru the Mesopotamia Valley and to the Montreal Gardens. So here Jambo is, driving around the mooring field, on the phone arranging our taxi, while maneuvering his skiff…wonderful…and entertaining. When we got to shore our land driver, Alford, was waiting and took us on a meandering trip up the windward side of the island, and past a black sand beach, also part of the set of the ‘pirates’ movies. The drive alone was worth the trip, as this part of the island is lush and gorgeous. This was a highlight of my trip to St. Vincent! The gardens were spectacularly beautiful, and we were able to meet the owner, a landscape designer, Timothy, whose special vision this was. 7 plus acres , up in the rainforest, with row upon row of Antheriums, Ginger lilies, hibiscus, fern, and a hundred other plants unrecognizable to me all tumbled together. Paths leading down to a stream wandered thru arches and small sheds making you wonder what you would find beyond the next corner. After leaving this wonderful place, Alford took us along the rim of the crater that formed the valley itself for a spectacular view. After making dinner reservations for the evening, we headed back to the boat for some relaxation and preparation for our final sunset together. The Admiral readied the Conch shell and 2 long blasts marked the suns descent into the sea.

6:45 Jambo collected us for our dinner reservations and we had a terrific fish dinner overlooking the cut and Young Island. After Dinner, Jambo was waiting to take us back to the boat…which is a rare treat, as it is now pitch dark, and only the lights from the boats and the cottages ashore attempt to ease the blackness. A good nights sleep awaits!


Sun, Feb 6th
After a leisurely morning we unfortunately said goodbye to the Admiral & Mrs A as they were off to the airport to head to points north. Jambo returned with our bill, and then we threw off the can and headed South to Bequia. The winds are forecasted to be high for the next few days and we wanted a safer place to sit and wait out the weather. Bequia proved to be the place, but now that the Admiral is gone…the inclement weather returned and while Sunday was breezy but clear, Monday proved to be an all day rain event… with squalls marching thru every hour or so, thru the day and into the evening, good thing we hadn’t planned to go anywhere!

By Tuesday the weather cleared and we headed into town, dropped off some garbage and cleared customs in preparation for leaving for Grenada on Wednesday. It looks like we have a good weather window to head south, even though they are still predicting nearly 3 meter swells.
Comments
Vessel Name: Regenero
Vessel Make/Model: Lagoon 41 S2
Hailing Port: Chicago, IL
Crew: Jim & Karen Doyle
About:
Jim retired from the legal field but continues to lecture and teach as an adjunct professor at several Universities both in Illinois and as well as a US MBA program in Eastern Europe. Karen is currently on hiatus from her job. [...]

Who: Jim & Karen Doyle
Port: Chicago, IL