Regenero's Great Escape

06 February 2016 | Francis Bay, St John, USVI
31 January 2016 | Privateer Bay, Norman Island
16 January 2016 | Christmas Cove
07 January 2016
30 November 2015 | Puerto Del Rey, Puerto Rico
25 February 2015
04 February 2015
18 January 2015
11 January 2015
01 January 2015
31 December 2014
28 December 2014
18 December 2014
09 December 2014
06 December 2014

We’re still at it!

01 December 2011
Karen
Thursday, December 01, 2011

Between door latches, organizing stuff, using stuff, sewing more cushions, sunshade and curtains, refinishing and waxing the windows and hatches, re-rigging the dingy to hang properly on the hoist, and a dozen other tasks we are still putting things together. The boat is coming together as we planned and at the moment we are awaiting two things, one minor…but necessary and the other Major. We found a terrific shipwright here who has helped us finish the doors that were a problem and is working on redoing the bottom cupboard board. He has also fixed the broken board beneath our berth and nearly eliminated the stair squeaking that was driving us a little crazy. The quiet is WONDERFUL! The major project is engine related and Mike is working on repairing our port water pump, which began leaking after and starboard fuel filter which while brand NEW is sucking air somehow. We are very much hoping that he will have all finished and installed by tomorrow and then our engines will be in tip top shape.

Today’s chore involved me going up the mast to silicone it and try to install a new flag halyard on the port spreader. After strapping myself in, running a preventer line to me and the drill, taking up the drill bits, screws, etc and actually managing to drill one of the holes, over my head, with my left hand, mind you, I then switched the drill to the screw head, and managed to get one turn in the spreader before the whole thing, screw, flag piece and eventually the screw driver from the drill flew off and jumped in the sea. I don’t know how it happened...but at least I kept hold of the drill! Suffice it to say that I would never be hired as a professional rigger! So up and down with the silicone, which I can do, and now we are back on deck with my knees shaking and I think I might have pulled a thigh muscle from trying to wrap my legs around the mast.

A few days ago a big Gunboat 66 catamaran came in and docked just next to us here and we have had a chance to meet Rob, the owner and Piers, the skipper. The boat is brand new, launched in June, and they sailed it over from Cape Town. She is a BEAUTY, and rock solid, and Rob and Piers are two of the funniest, nicest guys you’d ever want to meet. They cooked us dinner two nights ago, Fresh grilled fish, Fish cakes, stuffed peppers, fresh veggies mmmm..delish! and gave us a tour of the boat. We’re having fun talking with them as we all complete our projects, and watching the stream of people who wander down the dock to look at the big, gorgeous boat, and generally get offered a tour.

Comments
Vessel Name: Regenero
Vessel Make/Model: Lagoon 41 S2
Hailing Port: Chicago, IL
Crew: Jim & Karen Doyle
About:
Jim retired from the legal field but continues to lecture and teach as an adjunct professor at several Universities both in Illinois and as well as a US MBA program in Eastern Europe. Karen is currently on hiatus from her job. [...]

Who: Jim & Karen Doyle
Port: Chicago, IL