Regenero's Great Escape

06 February 2016 | Francis Bay, St John, USVI
31 January 2016 | Privateer Bay, Norman Island
16 January 2016 | Christmas Cove
07 January 2016
30 November 2015 | Puerto Del Rey, Puerto Rico
25 February 2015
04 February 2015
18 January 2015
11 January 2015
01 January 2015
31 December 2014
28 December 2014
18 December 2014
09 December 2014
06 December 2014

A week of Hilarity with the Neighbors

21 February 2012
Karen
A week of Hilarity with the Neighbors

After reprovisioning in Sopers, we headed up to Marina Cay on Wednesday then on to Scrub Island on Thursday to wash the boat and prepare for our Neighbors to arrive. The trip on Wednesday was typical of running up the channel with a heavy swell running down and we were taking spray all the way to the helm station so by the time we got to scrub Island we REALLY need to wash Regenero from stem to stern. Several hours later, once the boat was ready we headed to the pool to relax for a while and I tested out each mask and Snorkel in advance. Later we took the ferry over to the airport and met Jim, Linda, Mark and Donna. As their flight came in at 6:30, it was dark when they came out of customs, so unfortunately they didn’t get to see any of the short walk to the docks. We had to wait a bit for the ferry to take us back, but fortunately for us there was a bar close by and a nice lady willing to serve us a few painkillers to start the trip off. After arriving on the boat the laughter flows while we demonstrated the joys of using a marine toilet, oh the things that this groups find hilarious!

Friday, Feb 10th
After a leisurely morning which included snorkel fitting and testing in the pool and lovely fresh water showers and toast using the transformer, we left the dock and headed over the ½ mile to Marina Cay for our first snorkel. While Mark & Donna have snorkeled before, this was Jim & Linda first time so we choose this as a good place to practice before we headed over to more challenging locations the rest of the trip. After a few moments of panic, and one mooring ball that saved Jim H’s life briefly everyone eased into the rhythm of floating and breathing under water. We fought a heavy current toward the reef and eventually managed to see a ray or two and a dozen barracuda, plus many other marine critters, before heading back to the boat. There must have been something in the water here because 3 different times we saw rays flying out of the water around the boat..or perhaps they were just welcoming our friends? We had a moment of hilarity, one of many, watching JH negotiate a ziplock closed…. Who knew those suckers were so challenging? Our star watching netted us several shooting stars for our first night out.

Sat, Feb 11th
To Monkey point! On the way we had Mark out front on the foredeck to be our spotter and he spotted a large buoy right in the middle of the channel…it disappeared then returned in the same place, til we realized it was two very large turtles right in the middle of the pass…odd place to see one, but a good omen for things to come. Once Moored at monkey point we breakfasted, then hit the water to see what was below. Both our experienced and new snorkelers saw plenty of unique fish and we poured over the fishy books to identify what we all had seen once back aboard. From there we headed over to Virgin Gorda Yacht Harbor in Spanish Town where we had booked two nights stay. Since we had no idea what was here we explored a bit of the area, then took a walk (presumably) to the town, that we discovered wasn’t. Up the hill, perhaps a mile or so, to a church and cemetery and overlooking the south side of the island then back down again to the marina. After reading the travel guide later we discovered that the marina complex, nice market, restaurant, bar, internet café, laundromat, and some small shops is considered the ‘shopping mecca’ of Spanish Town…Oh….well then, I guess we HAVE seen it all.

Sunday, Feb 12th
The Baths! We packed up our gear and took a taxi to The Baths where we hiked the trail and spend some time snorkeling in beautiful Devils Bay. In addition to many other critters we saw a small ray, and on the way back to shore, just off the beach we came across 7 squid just hanging around a rock…Magnificent! After hiking back toward the entrance, cleaning up and doing a little shopping we walked up and had a wonderful lunch at the “Top of the Baths” restaurant and pool (not uncommon to have pools in or near the restaurants here…a little weird to us, but hey…it’s the Caribbean). The Coconut Shrimp was out of this world…, then finally, met our driver and taxi’d back to the marina (shopping mecca) and to the boat. Enjoyed a lovely Sunset tonight.

Monday, Feb 13th
North to Leverick Bay. Winds were as usual from the North east, the direction we were heading, so we powered up the channel to the North Sound, past Richard Branson’s Necker Island and took a mooring at Leverick Bay. Our First foray in the dingy….was uneventful, but funny while we balanced everyone and made it to shore with no drama. We enjoyed the pool for a while then showered and got a table for the Michael Bean Happy Arrr! show here. Michael was great as usual, and we had excellent representation with Mark & Donna attempting to win the Conch Blowing contest. Mark acquitted himself well with 26 seconds, but was trumped by a trombone player who carried for 57 seconds! We also met a lovely couple here, Fred and Mary from Lake Bluff who are here at the resort for a few days, they joined us at the show and we all had a ball together.

Tuesday, Feb 14th
Happy Valentines…our day started with a sweet message from our grandsons wishing a Happy Valentine’s day in their Pajamas! Then we were up and out and setting sail for our run down the channel to Norman Island. Mark, JH & Linda all took the helm today, and more hilarity ensued watching the many ‘coaches’ giving advice to whomever was at the helm. When we got to The Bight we took a mooring in our favorite side and jumped in to snorkel the reef. Magnificent! Barracudas, angelfish, squirrel fish, just to name a few , multiple conch and a host of other critters mixed with the beautiful coral heads.. We had more star watching tonight, although it was a little cloudy and Mark was our instructor naming stars and constellations for our viewing pleasure. Donna also displayed a strange love affair with Orion, and her Aunt Barbara showed up to join us as well. I don’t know how she got here, but she was gone in the morning….

Wednesday, Feb 15th
We were up early and so moved on to the Indians to catch a can for a morning snorkel. The snorkeling here was incredible and we saw amazing coral, large and small critters from tiny, perhaps 1 inch juvenile Damsel fish with their neon blue spots to a queen trigger Fish, 18 inches long. We also saw several Black Durgeon, which I have see nowhere else in the Caribbean. For all that this week was their first Snorkeling experience JH & Linda took to it like, well, fish to water, and we spent lots of time just hovering and exploring the many beautiful reef zones.
After the Indians we headed over to the caves to experience those as well, and while we got caught in a small rain shower, it was still a great experience and JH spotted a pair of Balloonfish hanging around.
After picking up a mooring back in the bight and having some lunch it was back in the water for one more snorkel on the reef. This time JH spotted a juvenile Spotted Drum (or Jack knife fish) that looked for all the world like his momma dropped him off and told him to stay in this little pool in the coral, so he did, swimming around and around. I looked up and spotted L’esprit du Nord, our friends Jim and Allison, who we met in Grenada and who live near us in Illinois. After dinner, we loaded pictures and had popcorn while watching the show.

Thursday, Feb 16th
Heading up to Trellis…in preparation for departure EARLY tomorrow, we set sail and headed up the channel toward Trellis Bay. It was a beautiful day and we hung out on the foredeck for most of the trip. Donna took the helm today and worked hard to sail to windward…which is work! Until a threatening storm cut our sail short and we doused the sails and powered up in order to duck it. Donna continued at the helm, under 8 knots to bring us in and dodge the rain all the way to the entrance to Trellis Bay.
We dropped the dingy and headed to shore, dropping Mark on the beach for a hike on the way. We dropped the garbage, then did a little shopping before Mark caught up with us and we all headed back for one last swim before dark.

Friday, Feb 17th…
The dark day is here…and it is dark indeed at 5am when we all start moving around to get ready to depart. By 6:15 we have a little light and so we start loading the dingy for our two trips to shore. After dropping off Mark & Donna and their luggage, we collect JH and Linda and their luggage and then tie off the dingy and take the short walk to the airport. In short order everyone is changed, checked in and ready to head thru security. We hug goodbye and head back to the dingy, and then the boat. We had some breakfast while we waiting on the plane, then waved madly, and took photos while they flew over head off then promptly went below for a nap! Farewell friends…we miss you and the laughter already!
Comments
Vessel Name: Regenero
Vessel Make/Model: Lagoon 41 S2
Hailing Port: Chicago, IL
Crew: Jim & Karen Doyle
About:
Jim retired from the legal field but continues to lecture and teach as an adjunct professor at several Universities both in Illinois and as well as a US MBA program in Eastern Europe. Karen is currently on hiatus from her job. [...]

Who: Jim & Karen Doyle
Port: Chicago, IL