The glamorous life of yachting…!
03 October 2012
Wednesday, Oct 3
For the past three days we have been heavy into preparing Regenero to launch and let me tell you...glamorous it ain't. The boat was in very good shape this year. There are only a few little spots that need bleaching and the rest just a good wipe down with vinegar. Jim managed to pick up a cold bug on the plane and so Monday he was beginning to get congested. We did most of our soft prep that day, hauling luggage aboard, hauling cushions off (yup...another sewing job), visiting the technicians, rigger, office, and chandlery. Stop at the bank for EC (local currency) and spend 2 hours in the grocery store - just the basics after all!
Tuesday we began in earnest and while we waited for the scaffolding to arrive, Jim helped me with some of the bottom scraping, taping for the new...higher...waterline, and prep. Then each to their own tasks...He up on the plank to wax the hull and me geared up to paint. I really wish I new this primer was going to be bright yellow...I might have chosen a different kind.
We had all new rigging run (for those of you familiar with Regenero, this is all the silver stuff attached to the mast) which is why the mast needed to be taken down. Additionally, they are securing all the cables inside the mast in order to stop the banging we had under certain sea conditions. The riggers were waiting on a part that has been on back order since early summer, finally it came in and they are installing the martingale today. They are also rerunning the new cable for the windex (you know...the thing that jumped off last year as we were leaving St. Thomas), and other misc items. Since the mast is currently down. I took the liberty of attaching the new flag halyard to the port spreader. If you recall, I attempted to do this last year, hanging halfway up the mast and using a power drill to first predrill the screw hole, which worked fine..and then I managed to switch the bit in the drill...remember I am hanging in a cloth chair 30 feet off the deck - it was an amazing feat. But the real entertainment came when I tried to screw the fitting into the hole and managed to spin everything, fitting, screw AND the drill bit right into the sea. I kept hold of the drill though. This time, I was standing on solid ground and working at waist height - WAY BETTER. And it only took me about 5 minutes to finish the job....I had to use a manual screw driver though...darn I miss that drill bit.
On Wednesday Jim finished waxing another half a hull, and I finished the priming and the trim work for the bottom paint. We are ready for the full bottom painting tomorrow.
They also plan to step the mast (i.e. put it back in place on the boat) tomorrow morning as well. Once the hulls are waxed, the bottom painted and the mast up we are technically ready to launch - although still have tons of work to do, but most, if not all of it can be completed at the dock.
I am managing just fine with my arm... I can carry most things, but cannot lift much...pretty tricky considering the space issues and trying to get at everything, but we are managing. Tomorrow will be the real test as I try to use a roller brush on a stick to apply 2 coats of back bottom paint to the hulls.
Check out the gallery...pictures are ready!