Engines are good!
24 October 2012
Wednesday, October 24, 2012
Tuesday was spent on two tasks… making hatch covers to keep the sun and rain off our hatches (and to making napping during the day just a little more comfortable) and attempting to repair a leak. Remember the water we discovered in our port engine compartment? Well, after tracing it for several days, we finally discovered that it was coming from a scupper that is supposed to channel the water from the cockpit sole out to the sea. The way the Lagoons are put together is they have a mold for the top and one for the bottom…once the fiberglass is set up they flip the top over and secure it to the bottom…and then begin the task of fitting all the interior stuff. In order to run the steering and battery cables in the aft, there is a gap between the top and bottom, and so the scupper is a thru hull fitting, that goes thru the top, has about two inches between the molds then out the bottom, diverting the water. Unfortunately, either the thru hull itself, or the bedding material was degrading and a small trickle of water was leaking into the boat. Water IN boat = BAD. So after much discussion we finally decided to use a two-part epoxy to seal the fitting, and two different sealants to enhance the outer gasket. The two-part epoxy was a real treat to work with…it is exothermic and reacts in about 3 minutes, so you have to get everything ready…. bowl, mixing stick, latex gloves, etc and then pour the resin and hardener together, stir like crazy for 30 seconds, than paint it on the spot you need to seal, without, of course, dripping it on to anything else. I managed to do this right the first time, and within five minutes had the super HOT residual all wrapped up in a bag on the dock. Now to let it cure for 24 hours.
We had a visit from the people who are organizing our counter top, with some bad news…the chip we selected was now no longer available…so she brought a few new samples, and we actually liked one Much better, that was good news all around. While Anita was here she looked at the counter where it is clearly delaminated. Looks like it will require a little more prep work, she’ll let us know. When Anita popped over, I had just poured a batch of epoxy…and while we talked it set up. Well…there goes that batch, and cup, and brush! Still, we managed to get two coats on the leaking scupper, and one on the one on the other side of the cockpit (you know….just in case!)
Today we got the final coat of marine sealant on the scuppers for its 24 hour curing process, then turned our energy to the engine compartments. Mike and his guys are coming today and the starboard engine cover board, which we remove from the engines for easier access, needs some glue to re-adhere the soundproofing that is falling off. After maneuvering the board up and out of the aft berth, up the stairs and out into the cockpit, we got the stuff glued back on, re-screwed, and pulled all the dinner plates out of our cupboard and used them to weigh everything down until the glue set. A nasty, messy job that I REALLY don’t want to have to redo anytime soon, or really – Ever!
Fortunately we were done with that when Steffan, the wood-worker showed up to look at the kitchen counter (or Deli-board, as he calls it). He was able to isolate the areas with dry-rot that need to be replaced, and the areas that need reinforcement, before the solid surface can be set. We have complete confidence in his work, so are very happy he is on this project now too. We are also having him make a different backrest for the helm-seat. Jim is so happy with the new helm, and decided to have a full back rest made to make it perfect. Steffan says no problem and he will make and fit the board while we are away.
Mike, Sean and Kevon came just about 1:00pm. Sean took the port engine, Kevon the Starboard, and by 3 pm, they had the full engine service completed on both engines, the port alternator replaced, and the starboard water pump removed. Mike is going to have the port alternator rebuit for us as a spare, and he is also rebuilding the starboard water pump, as a precaution, since we had such a hassle with the port one. (you remember the full engine rebuild of last year!) Mike started out with the guys and then ran a few errands, and returned about 3 minutes before they both finished. I guess they sure know their business, and precisely how long the job will take! These guys are excellent, and highly professional, and we are fortunate to have such pros working on our behalf.
After they left, we began the long process of putting everything back where it is supposed to go. Getting the starboard engine board back down the steps proved exceptionally challenging, as it now had the sound proofing glued back on and so was about 3 inches thicker than when it came up. We finally made it and then discovered that we glued the piece on about 1/16th of an inch too close to the back and the board doesn’t fit back in place….while I go for the box cutter Jim manages to muscle it in place regardless, and on the screws go! After cleaning both aft berths, walls, ceilings and floors, and vacuuming up all the mess that moving the boards made, finally we can get our cushions back in place, and ready for sleeping. Whew…what a day!
Tomorrow’s task…checking to see if our scupper repair worked…stay tuned!