On our way back
20 March 2013
Wednesday, Mar 20th, 2013
After a few last minute stops Tuesday morning, we were off to Culebra, where we picked up a mooring at Malone’s beach. There is a wonderful reef here, with lots of soft corals and so Denise and I went to visit our friends for a while. The only problem was the water was a little chilly….
This morning it was up and out early, and headed back to St. Thomas. We put up the sails and enjoyed sailing pretty close to the wind as we beat into the easterly breeze…we sailed about70 percent the way, and it was near 1pm when we were heading into Christmas Cove, and rejoining Regenero, who was waiting patiently for us! Unfortunately, just as we are approaching the mooring an engine alarm goes off and we discover gallons of water pouring into the port engine. While Frank and Jim bail water, Denise shuts down the engine and she maneuvers the boat on one engine and puts me right on top of the mooring ball…Way to go at the helm girl! After a quick trouble shoot, and the bilge pumps working, Frank Isolates the problem and with two phone calls they have a hoist arranged for the boat and a mechanic on the way…however, it is 2 hours away. So they quickly get us and our many, many purchases in the dingy and run back to Regenero, and off they go to get OJ repaired.
We worried about them, until we heard from them near 3:30pm telling us that fabulous Frank, ID’d and Fixed the problem while underway, and they were having the mechanic check it out…They’ll be back tomorrow….Good thing, ‘cause we forgot to get our passports back!