Regenero's Great Escape

06 February 2016 | Francis Bay, St John, USVI
31 January 2016 | Privateer Bay, Norman Island
16 January 2016 | Christmas Cove
07 January 2016
30 November 2015 | Puerto Del Rey, Puerto Rico
25 February 2015
04 February 2015
18 January 2015
11 January 2015
01 January 2015
31 December 2014
28 December 2014
18 December 2014
09 December 2014
06 December 2014

Puerto Real…and the gateway to the Mona passage

29 April 2014
Karen
Tuesday, April 29, 2014 Puerto Real…and the gateway to the Mona passage

After a long passage yesterday we anchored peacefully for the night in a pretty little cove in the bay of Guanico, off the cay called Gilligan’s island, so named because it looks a little like it’s namesake, and at one time, one of the local fisherman looked a bit like Bob Denver. Jumping in for a swim and a sea bath felt like heaven, and while the seas are flat the breeze is lovely, and we all enjoy the relaxation!

Today it was up anchor and out at 6am, but not before we enjoyed a beautiful sunrise from behind the mangroves. Then around the southeast point, Cabo Rojo…and up to Puerto Real. A shorter trip today, only about 30 miles, and lovely flat waters most of the way. We arrive in this picturesque fishing village early, and find it holds everything we need…dive shop for tank refills, laundry and showers, except their has been a water main break, so we have no water at the marina, a small mini-mart with ice cream and some very lovely people, gracious and very willing to help. While some took off to explore this part of the island, the rest of us attended to boat chores. After a personal visit by the marina owner, and the electrics guy, whose office is right around the corner, it was refills for the dive tanks, topping off the ice, trash dump, and the very necessary…rest time!

Tomorrow the weather looks as good as we are going to see for crossing the Mona passage, and we want to get a very early jump on it…so we are planning on a 4am departure…yes, that means leaving the marina, and harbor in the dark…but we think we can do it! and the earlier we leave…the earlier we get there. It is a 75 mile crossing from here to Punta Cana, so best case will be 10 hours. We’re REALLY hoping for best case!
Comments
Vessel Name: Regenero
Vessel Make/Model: Lagoon 41 S2
Hailing Port: Chicago, IL
Crew: Jim & Karen Doyle
About:
Jim retired from the legal field but continues to lecture and teach as an adjunct professor at several Universities both in Illinois and as well as a US MBA program in Eastern Europe. Karen is currently on hiatus from her job. [...]

Who: Jim & Karen Doyle
Port: Chicago, IL