S/V Restless Journey to Alaska 2017

28 July 2018
28 July 2018
24 July 2018 | Tofino, BC
19 July 2018
19 July 2018 | Tahsis, BC Westview Marina Resort
12 July 2018 | Port Alice
06 July 2018 | Port Mcneil
29 June 2018 | Cortes Bay, Cortes Island, British Columbia
02 August 2017 | Seattle, WA
24 July 2017 | Cortes Bay
24 July 2017 | Cortes Bay, BC
23 July 2017 | Cortes Bay, Cortes Island, BC
23 July 2017 | Cortes Bay, BC
23 July 2017 | Cortes Bay, BC
15 July 2017 | Shearwater, BC
14 July 2017 | Shearwater
09 July 2017 | Prince Rupert

Prince Rupert to Shearwater

14 July 2017 | Shearwater
Steve and I left Monday morning for Lowe Inlet on the Greenville channel. We had a long day but weather was very cooperative. We arrived and anchored in front of the falls. We were the only boat there for several hours. One other boat came in late. We fished but only caught a few bottom fish, nothing of interest. There were no bears at the waterfall. Salmon not running yet I guess. We decided to leave early the next morning to fish of Kingcome Point where we were told there was good Halibut fishing. We arrive and due to strong currents and increasing wind we weren't successful with the fishing. It was hard to stay in position to do decent bottom fishing. We recovered our gear and proceeded on downto Butedale for the night. There was another sailboat overnighting there s well. Not much changed from our earlier visit last month.
We had crab cakes and corn for dinner!

On Wednesday morning we left and headed south to Klemtu. We fished with the downrigger for a couple of hours. We caught on 12-14 inch rockfish. A nice keeper! He had a couple of nips out of him that apparently happened as we were reeling him in. We were joined by numerous Dahl porpoises in the same area we were fishing. When we finally arrived in Klemtu, We tied up at the fuel dock and refueled and topped off water. Since we arrived late the operator said we could move forward and remain overnight.

We decided to leave at 5:30 the next morning for the 37 nm trip to Shearwater. Transit was easy and weather was pleasant, no rain. We arrived in Shearwater around noon and our berth wasn't ready, so we anchored, took the dinghy in and had the average calamari and a nice summer lager. We moved pierside around 5 pm and went to the restaurant for dinner. Service was slow but food was excellent.
This morning we went to the store and discovered they had Growers Cider in bottles! So we stocked up!
We then dropped out laundry off. The machines were busy but a young lady in the back was taking laundry for $20/load. Steve and my laundry together was one load!we would have spent most of the day there and spent $12-15 to do it ourselves!

Shrimp Scampi for dinner and crab bites for appetizers!

We miss having Andre aboard but we are managing well. We leave in the morning (15 July) for Namu, then Dawson's Landing. Hope to cross Queen Charlotte sound on Tuesday.
Comments
Vessel Name: RESTLESS
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau 393
Hailing Port: SEATTLE
Crew: Mike Morgan and Jim McIlvaine
About: USNA Classmates and company mates
Extra: We will be cruising to Alaska this summer
RESTLESS's Photos - Main
Pictures from our trip to Alaska
8 Photos
Created 7 May 2014