S/V Restless Journey to Alaska 2017

28 July 2018
28 July 2018
24 July 2018 | Tofino, BC
19 July 2018
19 July 2018 | Tahsis, BC Westview Marina Resort
12 July 2018 | Port Alice
06 July 2018 | Port Mcneil
29 June 2018 | Cortes Bay, Cortes Island, British Columbia
02 August 2017 | Seattle, WA
24 July 2017 | Cortes Bay
24 July 2017 | Cortes Bay, BC
23 July 2017 | Cortes Bay, Cortes Island, BC
23 July 2017 | Cortes Bay, BC
23 July 2017 | Cortes Bay, BC
15 July 2017 | Shearwater, BC
14 July 2017 | Shearwater
09 July 2017 | Prince Rupert

Tahsis, BC

19 July 2018 | Tahsis, BC Westview Marina Resort
Breezy but sunny
Restless Blog 19 July 2018
We left Port Alice and sailed up to Winter Harbor before heading around the Brooks Peninsula. We left at 5am on Saturday 14 July. Seas were calm until we reached the area around Brooks Peninsula where they became steep and a bit confused. Dream Girl's hull disappeared below the waves on occasion and we rolled quite a bit. We had decided we would bypass Klaskish Inlet to get around the Peninsula and get into Kyoquot Sound. After rounding the peninsula, the seas abated somewhat and were on the stern which provided a much more comfortable ride. We arrived in Walters Cove just after noon and were able to tie up to the public wharf. Restless tied up alongside DreamGirl. Since it was Saturday the store wasn't open. It's on open Monday, Wednesday and Friday. There was on other sailing boat at the dock. Only evidence of activity was fishing charters. There was a very nice fishing lodge with numerous Grady White fishing boats.
15 July-Walters Cove to Hankins Cove. We left Walters Cove to head up 8 nautical miles to Hankins Cove. Hankins Cove is a cove we explored but didn't stay in 2005. It is a beautiful protected cove. DreamGirl anchored and Restless moored alongside. I took the dinghy and explored the small islet in the middle of the cove. After a restful night we left Hankins Cove to travel the 7 miles down to Dixie Cove.
16 July- Hankins Cove to Dixie Cove
Another beautiful protected cove. Restless anchored and DreamGirl tied up alongside. A little later the sailboat that we saw in Walter's Cove (Mazu, Homport San Francisco) entered the cove and anchored about 500 yards away. Though it was a little breezy the boat rode comfortably all night.
17 July- Dixie Cove to Zaballos. We left Dixie Cove to leave Kyoquot Sound for Esperanza Inlet. We transited Clear Channel then to Rolling Roadstead channel to enter Esperanza Inlet. It was a little rolling but not uncomfortable. The challenge was avoiding the numerous shoals and rocks at the exit and entrances of the two channels in fog with visibility of about ΒΌ mile. The fog finally lifted after entering the main channel. After entering Esperanza the wind increased to about 20 kts from astern and we sailed all the way up to Zaballos located at the head of the Zaballos inlet. When we arrived the public dock was full of mostly fishing boats. The city marina dock was empty, so DreamGirl moored alongside and Restless rafted alongside DreamGirl. With the winds coming up the inlet, the boat rocked a bit until after sunset when it settled down. Zaballos is a fishing resort and commercial fishing hub. It is a nice community with a small store and a small restaurant. Semi's come in to offload the fish, then transit a 40 mile logging road to get to the main roads. The driver said it was a very rough ride. The people were very friendly. There was no cell phone coverage but internet at the small restaurant. We used the public telephone to call Tahsis to inquire about moorage and were assured they would have space for us.
18 July- Zaballos to Tahsis. The 14 mile trip to Tahsis was uneventful and skies were clear. We visited Tahsis back in 2005. The West View Marina Resort has become a vibrant fishing resort and they have expanded their facilities. We refueled and moored at the newly rebuilt docks. 30 amp power and water is available on the dock. There is a very nice full menu open air restaurant at the Marina Resort. It is know as Margaritaville of the North!We had lunch there, and I can report the fish tacos were excellent. They used Lingcod! The marina staff will wash and fold laundry for $10 per load! So we let them do that for us. The marina will also loan you the truck to drive to the general store about 1 mile down the road. The store was small but had the basic necessities along with some fresh vegetables. We ate dinner at the marina and again an excellent meal. We are staying an extra night. It looks like the best day to round Estavan Point will be Sunday.

We plans to leave tomorrow morning (20 July) and head down to Nootka Sound. We plan to anchor in Friendly Cove to visit the church before heading up to Hinzit Inlet for the night and one night in Ewan Inlet on Bligh Island. We'll head back out in the ocean on Sunday morning and hopefully arrive in Warm Springs Cove on Sunday evening. We have reservations at Tofino on Monday the 23rd of July. Hopefully, we'll have cellular service when we get to Tofino.
Comments
Vessel Name: RESTLESS
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau 393
Hailing Port: SEATTLE
Crew: Mike Morgan and Jim McIlvaine
About: USNA Classmates and company mates
Extra: We will be cruising to Alaska this summer
RESTLESS's Photos - Main
Pictures from our trip to Alaska
8 Photos
Created 7 May 2014