Adventure of a lifetime

Sailing round the world....slowly

Messina Strait

Departed Crotone 0700 Thurs to get a jump on the headwind that was supposed to come in mid morning. Had 2 dolphins with us for a while. 1 would come play alongside boat for a bit then go back to its mate. Come back and join us and then go back agaun (well at least we assume it was the same one) It was very active jumping out the water and showing off. Strong headwinds didnt come in, but neither did the good winds that were meant to come in on Friday. As a result we were motor sailing quite a bit to make use of the little wind there was. Only got to do some true sailing for about 4 hours Fri night.
Slowed boat down Fri morning to catch tide going through Messina strait. Arrived just before change of tide so hadbit against us for about half hour, but only a knot or two. Quite a few whirlpools as it was changing and then we sped up. At the northern end it is just 2 miles across at it's narrowest point. Where Odysseus had the monster Scylla on one side and Charybdis the whirlpool on the other.
Also today there are heaps of swordfish boats about. Zoom in on these pics to see the spotters right up the top of the mast, and the bowsprit that is longer than the boat!! The swordfish rest on the surface and these boats sneak up on them and harpoon them from the end of the bowsprit. Not a job for me!
Lots of traffic all night, vhf became annoying with all the fishing boat chatter and a couple just mucking around. Got told off by coastguard at one stage, but it didnt seem to make much difference, especially overnight

Comments