Adventure of a lifetime

Sailing round the world....slowly

Calm crossing

Departed Barbados at 1130. Departure took 30 mins longer than usual as we had somehow hooked a wreck on our anchor chain. Baebados did not want us to leave. Windlass was straining, as we slowly pulled it in. Then we could see something coming up on the chain. We got it to the surface and could see where the chain was held fast in a crack on the wreckage. As we got ropes and boat hooks ready, the wreck slipped and rattled all the way down to chain to the anchor..we could feel it rattling down.
So the poor windlass had to bring it up to the surface once more. We had our dinghy packed away up on deck, but fortunately some guys from the boat next to us saw what was happening and came over to help. Phil secured the anchor to the bow and between them, they managed to manipulate the wreck off the chain. Meanwhile i was back on the helm keeping the boat in position as we were no longer anchored.
So...after that exciting start, we headed to Bequai. We had a beautiful passage, slow, but that was expected. The light winds were directly behind us, so we just used the geneoa poled out. We cruised along at 3-4 kts for most of the night before starting the motor at 0600 when we dropped down to 2kts!
We were treated to a stunning sunset before i went off watch. Didnt see any dolphins, whales, but caught 2 baracudas which we released back to the sea. There was no moon so it was pitch black, but the stars were brilliant. The sea was flat, so i really enjoyed the passage.
By first light we could see Bequai and were all anchored up by 1030. There are a lot of boats here in the anchorage, but as we were arriving , quite a few were also leaving, so there were a couple of obvious holes in which we could anchor.
Checked in, which was easily done, customs and immigration all in the same building. Cost of 70 EC ($35 aud) and were were good to go. Caught up with SY Oops, explored town a bit, then a quick snooze before a bbq on the beach where we met a bunch of other cruisers. Such is the cruising life!

Comments