Adventure of a lifetime

Sailing round the world....slowly

Norman's Pond Cay

25nm today - outside, rather than using the protected waters of the inside as it is too shallow for us much futher south. We had a lovely, slow sail down, we caught, but didn't land 3 Mahi Mahi. The first one broke the trace before we even got it up to the boat, and the other 2 we lost trying to pull them up over the steering gear out the back. Very frustrating! We only averaged 3.9kts today in speed, but we were sailing the whole time and in no rush as we had to wait for the incoming tide down at the entrance cut. We had great conditions coming in an hour before slack tide, just a knot of current against us, and no big waves. We got confused once inside though as to where we were supposed to meet our friends on Oops. It was low tide and we didn't have much water underneath our keel 0.4m at one stage, so we took the safe option and stayed in the deeper water and anchored around the corner at Norman's pond. There were quite a few bommies around, so we had to be careful selecting our anchor spot, we had good depths though and ended up dropping in 4.1m at low tide. There is a bit of current, not too much but we tend to sit with the current here rather than with the wind. We only plan to be here one night though. It's a pretty spot, but we didn''t launch zodi and go explore.

Comments