Adventure of a lifetime

Sailing round the world....slowly

Rat Cay N

Moved 9nm today down to Rat Cay, due to our draft, we decided to sail outside the islands rather than risking the shallower depths of the inside passage. It may have been ok, but we weren't comfortable with the accuracy of the charts in this area.
Phil and Justin went to check out the anchorage to check for roll as last time Oops were there it was very rolly, howeer the winds have eased and are from a different direction now, so after inspection, the boys decided it was good to move there. So Oops went inside and got settled in the anchorage and we had a 2hr passage outside.
The bay is very large and seemed only to have swell on an incoming tide, but even then it wasn't too bad. We crept in and anchored in 3.6m at mid tide. As the weather was going to be favourable for qutie some time, we decided to stay and enjoy all this area had to offer. Not many boats stay here so lobster and good fish were plentiful. Justin and Ash went out 'fishing' every day so we had lobster, hog fish, grouper for days. Enjoyed a fire on the beach and did some amazing snorkling. Emma even took me out scuba diving on 3 different occasions! There was a great reef with plenty of coloured fish and good coral life to explore. The best thing was that there were very few sharks spotted by anyone! Stayed here for 6 days, making the most of the seafood, good weather and isolation.

Comments