Adventure of a lifetime

Sailing round the world....slowly

Conception Island

Big day exploring today. Started with a dinghy ride up to the North beach where we had read there was a path leading to the other side of the island. As we were pulling zod up on to the beach, we saw a couple coming down from the path. They stopped to chat - an English couple with 2 kids and a teacher on board. Douglas and Hermione and their daughter Alice, were enjoying a walk while their son and the teacher were back on board doing school work. They are on SY Alisara.
We found the path to the other side of the Island and it was truly another beautiful bay. The water was calm and as the tide was out, we had an easy walk to the S end of the bay on beautiful pink sand. Here there was a large rock protruding from the cliff. There was a rope to pull yourself up with, but we found an easier climb at the end of the rock and enjoyed the lookout from on top, then we used the rope to abseil down. We sat in the shallows drinking our coffee and then walked back to zodi. Just as we were about to drag her back in the water, another couple came up in their dingy. They asked if we needed help putting her in the water, but we declined. Then we saw them struggling with their much bigger and heavier dinghy, so offered our help instead. So here we met Stu and June from SY Eternally Entwined. We had a good long chat with them and told them where the path was. Then we told them we were going for a dinghy ride up the creek in the afternoon and they were keen to join us, so we agreed to meet up again at 2pm to head up the creek.
Well that's easy to write, but the creek mouth was about 2nm away so it was quite a long dinghy ride up to it. We were able to go faster than them as zodi is much lighter. But what fun we had. The tide was coming in, so once we were over the rocks and in the creek, we jumped out of the dinghy with our snorkel gear on and drifted with the current - which was quite strong. We drifted over a rocky patch - where I suddenly found myself in very shallow water, but where there were heaps of coloured fish, lots of corals and plant life and amazing sea urchins with the longest black spikes I've ever seen (oh why don't I have an underwater camera!!) We then drifted up the creek and it became sandy only. We saw a few turtles and rays, and so many conch shells. Of course we find them all here in a National Park where we can't take any of them! We drifted close to the mangroves where we found lots of fish hiding, and then found the blue hole. A deep hole (not too deep though) and as it's deeper, the colour of the water is a darker blue then the surrounding water. We continued up the creek - I tied zodi to my waist when P also joined in, but then as it was all just sand, we decided to head back up to the mouth and dive again from there. It was closer to 3pm now, Perati also joined us, but by now the current was stronger and therefore you drifted faster - too fast to have long looks at the little fish. P and Stu were closer in the mangroves when they saw a huge fish. I stuck my head back in the water and confirmed for them that it was an ugly looking barracuda. (they weren't sure if it was a barracuda or wahoo) but I could tell from the tail. Then it started heading towards me. I stood up to see if June wanted to jump in for a look as she was still in the dinghy, but then realised, whilst standing up, I couldn't see the barracuda and last I knew it was heading right for me. I quickly dunked my head back in the water to see where it was. Fortunately it had since turned and was heading up the creek with the current!! Stu and June came back to Restless for a quick sundowner and then we went to Parati for dinner.

Comments