Adventure of a lifetime

Sailing round the world....slowly

Monument Bay - Stocking Island

A very short 2nm motor this morning over to the other side of the bight to Monument Bay - actually this bay is on Stocking Island. Basically you can pretty much anchor anywhere in any of the bays on Stocking Island, but we wanted to be fairly close to the Monument. It's deeper water here, even very close in, however you need to ensure you are not anchored in the shipping channel. We saw a ship depart from Georgetown at night, shining his very bright spotlight as yachts are anchored all over the place.
We went ashore and easily found the track that led up the hill to the monument. From here there is an excellent view back over the bay and over the rest of the island to Georgetown.
We followed another track to the ocean side of the island where we found a long beach and lots of fringing reef. We walked along the beach and then followed another track back to the bay where we were anchored. We took the dinghy around to a little beach where cruisers have written their boat names in the sand with rocks. It looks amazing. We figured it would take too long to collect enough rocks to write Restless Spirit!

Comments